Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dress Bayonet

Article about: Picked this dress bayonet up the other day at some point in time someone has added a badge to the grip, the badge is not glued on I can just see a very fine pin at the back of the eagles hea

Default Dress Bayonet

Picked this dress bayonet up the other day at some point in time someone has added a badge to the grip, the badge is not glued on I can just see a very fine pin at the back of the eagles head going into the grip.

z4.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dress Bayonet   Dress Bayonet  

Dress Bayonet   Dress Bayonet  

Dress Bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dress Bayonet
    P
    Many

Hi Z4...interestingly the badge looks brand new compared to the condition of the bayo. Just my opinion..but wait for the bayo guys to chime in. Could you take an additional photo of a side view of the medal to see the application if possible?? Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

The badge is not brand new there is some wear but it is hard to see, better picture I hope.

z4.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dress Bayonet  

?

The grip rivets look nice and untouched. I would say the only way that you would know for sure, is to pack to the dentist next time you go and see if they will take an x-ray. If both pins are bent over under the grip, you've probably got a winner. If the pins go straight in with no bend, it was added later.

Jim

I don't think I can get an x-ray the badge does move slightly so the pin or pins cant be glued they must be riveted over or something, the picture below shows the gap where the paper is behind the top and bottom of the badge so it either has one larger pin or two smaller ones near the center of the badge.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dress Bayonet  

seen them before very nice but from the 70s I think.

?

There is real examples of this type bayonet. This one looks like it has a good chance of being real.

?

It is a interesting looking dress bayonet.
    Just curious but shouldn't the rivets be domed on both sides?
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    It is a interesting looking dress bayonet.
    Just curious but shouldn't the rivets be domed on both sides?
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    The obverse (front) side will have the domed side of the rivet, because it looks nicer. The reverse will almost always be flat, though that was subjective to how the manufactures press was set up or whether it was finished by hand. Some would be a little rounded on the edges, but no where near as domed as the front. A good way to tell if the grips have been off is if there are sloppy, off centered, or multiple strikes on the back side of the rivets.

Jim

?

Grip emblems are pretty controversial, because it is to easy to jazz up a plan jane ks98 with the emblem off a stick pin or the like. There are a few styles and types that are widely accepted, especially those with RLB emblems. The only way to be confident about it being period is how it is attached and that the grips haven't been messed with. If it turns out to have two slender pins bent under the grip, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I have seen a few with the Heer eagle on them, but I don't remember if they were exactly this style or how many style of Heer eagles were used.

For what it is worth, I like it so far,
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast