Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Etched Dress Bayonet Help Please

Article about: I have the opportunity to bid on this item if worthy of doing so. I can inspect and take better pics if also worthy. It is my opinion this item is a reproduction that came from the same plac

Default Etched Dress Bayonet Help Please

I have the opportunity to bid on this item if worthy of doing so. I can inspect and take better pics if also worthy. It is my opinion this item is a reproduction that came from the same place as the luft dagger I posted. I would like to bid if this is a good item. Any opinions are appreciated.
    John

Etched Dress Bayonet Help PleaseEtched Dress Bayonet Help PleaseEtched Dress Bayonet Help Please

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Etched Dress Bayonet Help Please
    P
    Many

You are wise to be cautious. What is apparently before our eyes is one of the rarest etched bayonets of all. The Eickhorn type 3231 Luftwaffe etching of which I believe only two example are known to exist. First issue, poor photos of the etching. When 95% of value is in the etching, you want probably four close up images of the etching taken at angles to catch the light. These photos are inadequate but from what I can see I don't like the chances of this being a genuine Eickhorn. Is the blade even marked Eickhorn? I would ask the seller for better photos if not available, walk away unless you want to chance a very low bid. By the way the little plane is suppose to be a ME108 and on the genuine etching is well defined. The detail in this etching doesn't look good.

Hi John..take Heed to Andersons words , and try your best to acquire better close up photos . If this is an auction then the seller should oblige you.

Panel etches are difficult to view under certain lighting.
    Best Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I am going to go take some pics for educational purposes since there is a very slim chance, but may save someone else some money in the future. Can you take a look at the Luft dagger I posted please? I will take additional pics of that as well. That probably came from the same estate and is also very likely to be a reproduction.
    John

Additional poor quality pics. I even took them myself in poor lighting. Kinda embarrassing, apologies.
    John

Etched Dress Bayonet Help PleaseEtched Dress Bayonet Help PleaseEtched Dress Bayonet Help PleaseEtched Dress Bayonet Help PleaseEtched Dress Bayonet Help PleaseEtched Dress Bayonet Help Please

Yes, not much of an improvement with the photos. But I notice on the "etched Luftwaffe dagger" thread there is one photo of this etching (posted by mistake) that is reasonably sharp. From that one photo I see a "furry edge scroll" which is not the quality seen in other Eickhorn etchings. Photos still are inadequate but from what I can see, it's one I would pass on, unless secured at a very low bid. The other parts, being the scabbard, combat frog (should be a dress one and brown) and sword knot do have some value.

Here's a photo of a portion from a genuine 3231 etching, from Tom Wittmanns inventory. Notice the clean sharp edges.

Etched Dress Bayonet Help Please
    Last edited by Anderson; 04-17-2018 at 05:24 AM.

This bayonet sold last night for $550. plus 15% plus sales tax. No I was not the buyer thanks to your help.
    John