Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

German bayonet Eickhorn blade engraved original?

Article about: This bayonet appears to be original but I doubt the original inscription engraved on the blade. Want and the opinion of some experts and experienced collectors. Thanks in advance moderators

?

Default Re: German bayonet Eickhorn blade engraved original?

With regards to Ronnies comments, the ones in Johnsons book dont have a full scroll to the ricasso either, there are others that do but the one i refer to is more or less exactly the same, as is the Luftwaffe bayonet, if anyone wants to and they have the book its Vol IV PAGE 249, both are Eickhorns.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German bayonet Eickhorn blade engraved original?
    P
    Many

Great point there Dave but there are more faults on the engraving than the way it is cut off also (i should explained it more) , the top of the etch on the blade is off, the oakleaves pass the top border (wrong on this etch) the left hand scroll is poorly detailed (should be more lines) there are other faults with the etch as in the etching quality, but as we all say IMO but who knows it could be good? but not for me, as i say Dave it is a very good etch,
    cheers matey Ronnie
    PS hope i am wrong
    Last edited by 85ronnies; 10-27-2012 at 10:48 PM.

?

I doubt you are Ronnie, i was making the point that this time someone has for the most part taken a fair amount of time and trouble to copy an original, and i think they may have acid etched this one which is bloody hard to do without the proper equipment and experience, comparing the eagle with one in a photo of the Eickhorn catalogue, its pretty damn close but because we cant enlarge infinitum its a matter of a in hand inspection, which i think would prove to be its downfall
    Cheers Dave

?

no comments on the D.R.P on the back of that nifty looking frog ? i believe its postal? and not likely to go with a panzer etch. unless of course that was the mail transport of the time ? rain, shine or hail of lead, the mail must go through. just a thought.
    andrew

?

Quote by Andrew View Post
    no comments on the D.R.P on the back of that nifty looking frog ? i believe its postal? and not likely to go with a panzer etch. unless of course that was the mail transport of the time ? rain, shine or hail of lead, the mail must go through. just a thought.
    andrew

i know the site you reffer to, but its wrong.
    http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/Frogs.htm#GERMANY
    scroll down to the middle, i quote:
    "German dress frog for the Postal services. Has a metal back plate to protect uniform and is marked DRP - Deutsches Reich Post"

This should be:
    D.R.P. = Deutsches Reichs Patent and not like you think: Deutsches Reich Post
    compare it with this one:
    http://www.johnsonreferencebooks.com...ARMY/26345.htm

Cheers Ger

?

my mistake. thanks
    andrew

Thanks for the info and comments!
    Being a parade bayonet not think it got to the front and is slightly worn (like new) but I think is original but I have little doubt about the blade engraved.

DRP Deutsches Post mismatched with a Walking Out bayonet ( Dress or Parade bayonet) not combat bayonet. These were nickel plated somewhat resembling WWI fighting knives which were also used in the Great War in combat.

Jager

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2