Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

German K98 with stuck scabbard

Article about: Hello all, I'm new to this site, joined early this month, after discovering a very nice Bertram SS Dagger in a trunk of a late family member's belongings. Sitting next to it was this bayonet

Default German K98 with stuck scabbard

Hello all,
    I'm new to this site, joined early this month, after discovering a very nice Bertram SS Dagger in a trunk of a late family member's belongings. Sitting next to it was this bayonet. From what I can tell, it is also German and a K98. Despite my best efforts.... ok not my BEST but as much as I wanted to risk inadvertently slicing my hand in the process or damaging the bayonet, I cannot remove the scabbard. I've tried using limited amounts of heat, a small dose of WD40 and even a few gentle hits with a rubber mallet to no avail. My research tells me that the resell value for similar bayonets (with removable scabbards) is somewhere between $125-$175 USD. I cannot see any serial numbers or other identifying marks on the scabbard. I'm seriously considering just adding it to my SS Dagger as a bonus when I list it for sale, hopefully this week.
    Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    German K98 with stuck scabbard
    German K98 with stuck scabbardGerman K98 with stuck scabbardGerman K98 with stuck scabbardGerman K98 with stuck scabbard

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German K98 with stuck scabbard
    P
    Many

CBH
    ?

Wd-40 won't hurt the blade, I'd give it a good spray and leave it for a few minutes, then try.
    These aren't usually sharpened but gloves won't hurt. Push it forward then try and pull it out.

I think the scabbard is incorrect for the bayonet. I think it is for an Austrian M1895 bayonet. Could explain why it won't come out too easily.

Quote by Richie B View Post
    I think the scabbard is incorrect for the bayonet. I think it is for an Austrian M1895 bayonet. Could explain why it won't come out too easily.
    I was thinking that it could be the wrong scabbard, too. I will have to do a little homework on the M1895. Thanks for the tip!

Quote by CBH View Post
    Wd-40 won't hurt the blade, I'd give it a good spray and leave it for a few minutes, then try.
    These aren't usually sharpened but gloves won't hurt. Push it forward then try and pull it out.
    Ok. I will give it another shot. Thanks. If you don't hear back from me, it might be because I'm missing fingers and can no longer type. ha, ha.
    Last edited by Sturgis; 10-25-2017 at 12:28 AM.

Does not resemble any of my K98 scabbarbs .

Quote by Sturgis View Post
    Ok. I will give it another shot. Thanks. If you don't hear back from me, it might because I'm missing fingers and can no longer type. ha, ha.
    I would soak it WD-40 & let sit overnight. It is probably rusty somewhat, let the WD -40 work its' magic.

Wrong scabbard. Spray into scabbard till it won't hold anymore then leave it standing on the pointed end. In the morning, pull hard!

I once had something similar happen with a Mosin Nagant bayonet, getting stuck on the rifle. I understand they're notorious for it. Ended up losing my temper, blitzing it with WD-40 and smacking it with a hammer until it popped off. If all else fails, brute force works. Although I imagine I'd be less keen on this tactic if I had something as valuable as a K98 bayonet!

B.B.

Makes sense why the scabbard wont come out..because its mismatched..someone jammed it in there.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast