Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

German K98 with stuck scabbard

Article about: Hello all, I'm new to this site, joined early this month, after discovering a very nice Bertram SS Dagger in a trunk of a late family member's belongings. Sitting next to it was this bayonet

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Makes sense why the scabbard wont come out..because its mismatched..someone jammed it in there.

Regards Larry
    Hi Larry, I posted the dagger in the forum a couple weeks ago. Getting ready to list it now. Waiting for my PayPal account to get linked up with my bank account.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German K98 with stuck scabbard
    P
    Many

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Makes sense why the scabbard wont come out..because its mismatched..someone jammed it in there.

Regards Larry
    Larry....is that a K98 scabbard ?? The fork that goes thru the frog looks like nothing I have seen, & no #s' on the scabbard ??

Quote by real steel View Post
    Larry....is that a K98 scabbard ?? The fork that goes thru the frog looks like nothing I have seen, & no #s' on the scabbard ??
    Nothing I have ever seen...curious of the letter "U" on the lug Bolt .....wait upon Anderson , Fred or Sleepwalker to chime in...does not look like K98 at all.

Thread to reference is this one here ..take notice to the present scabbard throat >

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/k98-b...ayonet-681762/
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Two small wooden wedges, one going one way on one side of the blade - the other going the other way on the other side.
    Squeeze them toward each other in a workshop vice and the scabbard will come off without damaging the metal.

I've done it before ( you're lucky there's a gap to work with )
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I will see if i can do this! Thanks.

?

Since the bayonet looks to be in very good condition and the scabbard does not belong on that bayonet. I would put force on the scabbard.
    Use some wood dowels as chisels/punches on the lip and tap it off the blade after being soaked in PB blaster or WD like suggested.

Semper Fi
    Phil

German K98 with stuck scabbardGerman K98 with stuck scabbard

For any of you who are curious, Here is the only identifying mark on the scabbard that I could find along with the best pic that I could take of where the blade seems to be stuck. It's doing the wd40 soak right now. Not sure if that will help. It appears to be firmly wedged. I will drain the fluid tomorrow the best I can and see about squeezing it a bit with a vice and shims, as suggested.
    Thanks again, everyone!

waa
    ?

not original scabbard (bulgarian manliher - green paint) hamer help here and heating.

?

Well I hope that Sturgeon returns to let us know the outcome of our advice.
    I would like to see what is hidden behind that Scabbard.

Semper Fi
    Phil

It might be a Bulgarian scabbard, but i'm leaning towards Austro-Hungarian, for the Mannlicher M1895 bayonet (as others have mentioned). The blade shape is different to the K98, hence the unfortunate jam someone is now in. The leather frog is German however, and what we can see of the bayonet, it appears in good condition.

No news from the original poster might mean he has lost his fingers in the attempt to remove the scabbard.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast