Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help with Bayonet

Article about: Hello all,I usually lurk in the Japanese section but I also have a fondness for German items as well, and have collected mainly edged weapons over the years.I was reorganizing some of my thi

Default Help with Bayonet

Hello all,I usually lurk in the Japanese section but I also have a fondness for German items as well, and have collected mainly edged weapons over the years.I was reorganizing some of my things to prepare for the eventual construction of my "War Room". I haven't seen this piece in a few years and as I am not really a bayonet connoisseur.. I thought I would defer to the experts! The bayonet shown is an Eickhorn example with an unmarked frog it is in excellent condition but I have a couple of questions..On the ricasso there two stamped numbers that may be property markings but I am curious if anyone has any additional information as to who or what for? and another question is this piece seems to be made of what looks like a type of stainless steel??? the scabbard is blued and not painted.The bayonet itself is definitely not plated as a typical dress bayonet is. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.It just strikes me as odd for some reason Regards,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Bayonet   Help with Bayonet  

Help with Bayonet   Help with Bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with Bayonet
    P
    Many

All i can tell you is this is a dress bayonet, i think they were nickel or chrome plated!..

?

What is interesting here the steel handle, with very rough sharping lines on pommel, i believe there is a press button from S84/98 WaA proofed? so the blade looks like Eickhorn 1933-41, i personally would tend to late Weimar period on this. b.r.Andy

Thank you all for the replies.When I purchased this bayonet I assumed it was a dress bayonet but I have never noticed any dress bayonets that were not plated?
    was this a fairly common variation? there is some evidence of light rusting but not to the extent you would see with normal steel..were there there any producers
    who made bayonets of Rostfrei steel? Regards,Geoff

?

Your piece could be a rework by using older steel handle, grips and newer blade, for this speaks the press button which is Eagle/68 proofed which is certainly Weimar Reichswehr acceptance, that could be found on 1934/35 production in Solingen, or a service "Behoerden" or Security unit KS98 fully attachable on a K98 rifle. For this speaks the large numbers on blade and steel handle. Any stamps on frog backside? b.r.Andy

Thank you Andy, I cannot find any markings on the reverse of the frog.Can you please elaborate on Behoerden or Security unit? would that be a Police unit?
    Regards,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Bayonet  

?

I am not expert on dress bayonets, maybe SW or Frogprince, Fred will answer here, the frog looks like a LW version of normal service S84/98 frog, but could be reproduction too, You should smell on the leather when nothing to smell is old leather.
    The bayonet is with inventar number 35 certainly not a dress one, could be of Security unit of some plant, fabric or of a NS or state organisation? I would not believe it s a police bayonet. As steel hanlde and clear attachable on rifle so it could be armed organisation.b.r.Andy

Thank you Andy,The frog is very dry and I don't see any evidence of wear on the inside if there is any it is very little.There is no real smell to the leather,and it is quite stiff.I dont want to bend it too much for fear of cracking the finish. Regards,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Bayonet  

Early Eikhorn Dress Bayonet, maybe made before 1934... you can see on the steel and the long coated diamonds in the structure of the grip surface, The plating is gone... for the number i have no Idea....

What kind of scabbard is this? Can you made better pics?

The frog is standard Luftwaffe frog after 1940...

Thank you Sleepwalker The scabbard is a steel type with blued finish rather than paint.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Bayonet   Help with Bayonet  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast