Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Help ID bayonet

Article about: This was a bit of an impulse buy from my local gunshop. Pretty sure I overpaid by about 2x the value but I got suckered in chatting to the guys in the shop. Would be nice to know if it is at

It happens. First item I ever bought at a gunshow (SS armband) was fake. You'll pull through - maybe instead of some wild excuse, just say that you checked with some seasoned professionals and the etching is postwar. If they are stand up guys, they should be willing to refund.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help ID bayonet
    P
    Many

Hello,
    There is a path to follow when you don't really know the item you're interested in. Take a couple of photos, post them on the forum and if you get a thumbs up, you can go back and buy....it can be done in a few hours. Buying first then post the item on the forum is ok if you know what's in your hands; Concerning the etching on your bayonet, as already mentioned it's postwar, like all other etchings found on S84/98 bayonets of the third type. Such etchings never existed on this type of "combat" bayonet. if i remember well those etchings were mostly made in the 70s (or 80s) in the UK.
    If you can't get a refund, find a good place in your collection for this bayonet, where you can see it everyday, everytime you go in your collection room....and it will remind you that in this business you got to pay twice for your mistakes. If you want to pay once only, please refer to the first two sentences of my post.
    Thanks

i feel sorry for you tho. £350 is a lot of money for such a bayonet...

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Don't despair Matt, we've all made mistakes in purchases we later regretted. But these types of fakes are well known, and the facts are on your side. Hopefully the shop owner sold it in good faith and will do the honourable thing and refund your money. The Czech frog is a clue where the etching was done. This type of "SS combat bayonet" etching first appeared in the 1970's in Britain and in the 1990's certain Czech players continued it. No reputable dealer would sell such a doctored bayonet.

Well it was miss sold to me as an SS Panza division bayonet. The gunshop has great reviews as a gunshop. I didn't doubt them as they told me it had just come from a private collection and it was priced quite high at £400.Once I got it home I was doubtfull, first Google search I immediately regretted it and thought the etching was later .
    I will go in and ask them, with phone recording audio incase they don't want to be fair , I believe it's a breach under trading standards to sell a 'fake' as genuine.

Thanks for your help guys! I got a 97% refund (-card fees) guys were pretty adamant it was the real deal but refunded with no issues. I purchased some other bits from them as a gesture of good faith so wins all round.
    IL definitely come here before impulse buying such an item again. Now I'm on the look out for a genuine SS marked blade. 😁

Default Reference book's suggestion.

Greetings Matt,

Glad to hear of your refund. As discussed by others, mistakes will be made (I've made many without the option of a refund), especially so, when dealing with SS items. Besides the recommendation of posting potential buys for others to review/comment upon on the forum, you may wish to look at obtaining a copy of this book as it will facilitate in learning/determining the various (read: legitimate) etching patterns one may encounter. https://www.amazon.com/German-Etched...Dress+Bayonets This recommended book is the only one I'm aware of, which is solely dedicated to etched blades. Is the book perfect? No, but it's a fast means to determine if what you are looking at has a chance of being period correct/original (hope that made sense?).

I'm all about the sage "tell me" advice of others who have been collecting in a particular field for many years, yet I am also a fan of the "show me" advice you typically receive from valid reference resources. Neither source of collectors' information is "perfect/absolute," however a blend of the two is usually better than either or. Good Hunting!

Best,

V/r Lance

Great news Matt, we look forward to previewing your next potential purchase.

Likewise - some very good news that you got a refund . Best Regards, Fred

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2