Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Help Please-German Bayonet?

Article about: Hi everyone, a couple of weeks ago a friend of mine visited a Homestead Florida antique shop. He remembered I have a couple of WWII medals so he tought it would be a nice gesture to bring me

Default Help Please-German Bayonet?

Hi everyone, a couple of weeks ago a friend of mine visited a Homestead Florida antique shop. He remembered I have a couple of WWII medals so he tought it would be a nice gesture to bring me something (indeed it was). This is what he brought me, the owner of the store told him it was a german bayonet. Since I am no expert and someone once told me to never take for granted the aunthenticity of an "antique" or any sort of militaria I wanted your expert opinion guys. I thank you all in advance

Help Please-German Bayonet?Help Please-German Bayonet?Help Please-German Bayonet?Help Please-German Bayonet?Help Please-German Bayonet?Help Please-German Bayonet?Help Please-German Bayonet?Help Please-German Bayonet?Help Please-German Bayonet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help Please-German Bayonet?
    P
    Many

Greetings Johnson,

What you have posted is known as a German 98/05 "Butcher Blade" Bayonet. Your example has replaced (read: not original) handles and is dated 1918 by the "18" on the spine. You can go here and see similar examples GERMAN 98/05 VARIATIONS

Regards,

Lance

SRB
    ?

ww1 grman

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. I suspected what you said about the handles Lance, they are odd looking. How about the rest of the bayonet? does it look legit? Also do you happen to know the type of rifle this bayonet was attachable?

Greetings again,

The bayonet was originally made to be coupled with the Gewehr 98, but was also subsequently issued with the Kar 98 and it will fit the Gewehr 88 as well. This bayonet type was the most widely issued German Bayo during WWI. s98/05 bayos (in general) are not a rare bayonet, however there are repros currently being made in China/India. Your example is not a reproduction, however as mentioned, the handles are not "original" and would cause most serious collectors to take pause in terms of collectability. That said, there are original grip sets that regularly come up for sale on eBay and this would be the route I'd take in order to recapture its glory. The manufacturer Fichtel & Sachs A.G. delivered these bayonets during 1915,16,17, & 18. They bear the "L" Cypher (above the "18") of Bavarian King Ludwig the III (meaning they were Bavarian issue). The company received blank blades from F. A. Herder & Sohn until 1918, when they (finally) manufactured their own blades. Hope this helps answer your question(s)

Regards,

Lance

P.S. Thank you, for posting your bayonet, blades are always the nicest of gifts!

Once again thank you Lance for the valuable info and advise. I'll try to buy an original handle as soon as I can.
    I think youre right, blades make a hell of a gift specially for it being a WWI item (I only had WWII medals and an M4 US bayonet).

Hello,

made in 1918 but used until the end of II.WW. You can see the sloted Press stud / Press stud and the Bluing? This was made starting in 1932 ...

The grips are later replacements... privat done, not original.

Regards