Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Identify Frog species

Article about: Here's a brown bayonet frog I have, I'd be interested in comments. It came with a S84/98 bayonet, but is it really for a S98/05 or even a Police sidearm? Nicely maker marked, "VEREIN. L

I'll give this thread a bump. I'm still intrigued by the three slots cut into the leather, evidently after manufacture and Larry's suggestion it may have been adapted for a SA dagger. I noticed on Wittmann's site he has a NPEA dagger with slot cut into the frog on right hand side as well. His explanation was "frog has slit in right edge for use on vertically worn SA dagger where the ring was removed and the slit accommodated the remaining eyelet"

Could it be possible someone has adapted a S98/05 frog for the same purpose?

Identify Frog species

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Identify Frog species
    P
    Many

One found on lakesidetraders site and RZM approved hanger, made for political daggers and surely would include the NPEA.
    I just wanted to show a variant that shows the cut out how it would accommodate the carrying ring of the scabbard.

Identify Frog species

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

It would be interesting how that the K98 bayo would come to have used these frogs..or a shortage issue later in the war that purchased this stock
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Another interesting photo Larry. And it does seem to indicate the practice of modifying the dagger to fit a conventional bayonet type frog to hang off a belt may have been reasonably common. I think that must be the likely reason for the slots in my bayonet frog.

?

The slot is for other police equipment,securing straps probably that was woried on same side of body of policemen with bayonet, Sleepwalker already has presented more info about in other forums. b.r.Andy

As a general matter I usually assume that pairings of private purchase frogs with service bayonets and/or service frogs with private purchase bayonets was after the fact by a GI or later owner. But more to point here, some daggers had their own frogs which was much more suitable for wearing in some situations instead of dangling at the end of strap. And sometimes the markings and/or other characteristics will indentify the original intended purpose for a frog such as a factory modification for no standard loose carrrying ring. And sometimes it's a judgement call, for example with a frog for the DRK hewer which could I imagine possibly be mistaken for a S.98/05 bayonet frog. Best Regards, Fred

Hello,

The frog is from the inventory of the Bavarian State Police. Made in 1928 for the "Wehrgehänge".
    This frog is to carry the S98/05. The slots were used to attach a baton. The only manufacturer was "Vereinigte Lederwarenfabriken GmbH, Eugen Huber, München".

This frog has nothing to do with the shown combination bags for SA daggers.

I've also found an unmarked frog over the years. It is a little smaller and maybe suitable for the S84 / 98.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identify Frog species   Identify Frog species  

Identify Frog species   Identify Frog species  

Identify Frog species  

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    Hello,

The frog is from the inventory of the Bavarian State Police. Made in 1928 for the "Wehrgehänge".
    This frog is to carry the S98/05. The slots were used to attach a baton. The only manufacturer was "Vereinigte Lederwarenfabriken GmbH, Eugen Huber, München". This frog has nothing to do with the shown combination bags for SA daggers.
    Hello,
    That's some great infos there....thanks very much for the official docs and tremendous examples shown
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Thanks Sleepwalker, you have conclusively answered the question. Very interesting diagram. Bavarian State Police, very cool.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2