Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Jetter & Scheeren Dress Bayonet - Rare Piece ?

Article about: Came across this Dress Bayonet today in a antique shop. I'm interested in buying it, mainly on the strength of the maker Aescular - Werke, Jetter & Scheeren, Tuttlingen I've never seen a

?

Default Jetter & Scheeren Dress Bayonet - Rare Piece ?

Came across this Dress Bayonet today in a antique shop. I'm interested in buying it, mainly on the strength of the maker Aescular - Werke, Jetter & Scheeren, Tuttlingen I've never seen another dress bayonet by this firm, ran a search on this forum and a few others, came up with very little, except it stopped production in 1941, suspect its most likely a rare piece. A couple of negatives - the frog is too big for the scabbard and the scabbard is dented. The seller is looking for 90 Euro - is it worth it ? Any information would be welcome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Jetter & Scheeren Dress Bayonet - Rare Piece ?   Jetter & Scheeren Dress Bayonet - Rare Piece ?  

Jetter & Scheeren Dress Bayonet - Rare Piece ?   Jetter & Scheeren Dress Bayonet - Rare Piece ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Jetter & Scheeren Dress Bayonet - Rare Piece ?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Jetter & Scheeren Dress Bayonet - Rare Piece ?

This a harder to find maker and one of the few with split nut handle.
    But I thought they were made up to 44?

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Quote by Eric Zentner View Post
    This a harder to find maker and one of the few with split nut handle.
    But I thought they were made up to 44?

Eric
    Eric, In spite of claims (late war - blah, blah, blah) that I have seen here and there for years. Early in 1942 is when production stopped for items made for the civilian market, such as the series production of dress blades of all types. In fact by the end of 1944 - almost all of Solingen's combat bayonet makers had stopped their production of (84/98) service bayonets for the Wehrmacht for multiple reasons. Best Regards, FP

Hi Alech..Nice to have you here as I have seen you around a bit on some other forums. Aesculap is an early maker that made quality edged weapons,,especially SA daggers.
    I see positives more so than negatives,,,Eric points out that it is a harder to find maker,,and Fred closes it with an ending production date. I see it as I nice find with a frog. Although the frog may be a little large as you say,,but between then and now,,the frog may have been replaced because of a damaged one during the period or someone attached a frog to it recently. Hard to prove,,but IMO its still nice to have a Bayo Frog with a bayonet.

The dent on the scabbard,,looks to be period. Are there any numbers around the throat opening of the scabbard? Just curious! A Common WKC dress bayonet ( without the frog ) will get about $80 US...so I estimate 90uros to around $117 US,, for a rare maker of this type of bayonet,, maybe slightly high,,,but not bad. I will leave keep this thread at the top unitl you get the answers you need,,if I have missed something,, Im sure others will chime in. Best Regards Larry
    Last edited by Larry C; 01-24-2013 at 01:03 AM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thanks for the post Larry, indeed everyone, I had imagined (hoped) that I tripped from forum to forum in complete anonymity, alas its not to be. There were no markings on the scabbards throat, I intend to take it, and get down to the antique shop tomorrow, not looking forward to it, the owner is not the easiest to deal with, when I tell him I'll take it, he'll fly into a panic, thinking he's selling it too cheap, so I may not get it. Let you know tomorrow.

Quote by AlecH View Post
    Thanks for the post Larry, indeed everyone, I had imagined (hoped) that I tripped from forum to forum in complete anonymity, alas its not to be. There were no markings on the scabbards throat, I intend to take it, and get down to the antique shop tomorrow, not looking forward to it, the owner is not the easiest to deal with, when I tell him I'll take it, he'll fly into a panic, thinking he's selling it too cheap, so I may not get it. Let you know tomorrow.
    Alec, I hope that you are successful. There was a guy that we used to deal with locally that would immediately take something "off the shelf" if someone he thought was knowledgeable asked to buy an item at his plainly marked asking price. And then he would try and ask questions about it and other items to "pick your brain" (get ideas as to value) for free with no real intent to sell. Finally, I told him that I was willing to pay a good fair market value for whatever it was that I wanted to buy - but if he just wanted free advice, it was no longer free and he would have to pay for it.

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi Alech..Nice to have you here as I have seen you around a bit on some other forums. Aesculap is an early maker that made quality edged weapons,,especially SA daggers.
    I see positives more so than negatives,,,Eric points out that it is a harder to find maker,,and Fred closes it with an ending production date. I see it as I nice find with a frog. Although the frog may a little large as you say,,but between then and now,,the frog may have been replaced because of a damaged one during the period or someone attached a frog to it recently. Hard to prove,,but IMO its still nice to have a Bayo Frog with a bayonet.

The dent on the scabbard,,looks to be period. Are there any numbers around the throat opening of the scabbard? Just curious! A Common WKC dress bayonet ( without the frog ) will get about $80 US...so I estimate 90uros to around $117 US,, for a rare maker of this type of bayonet,, maybe slightly high,,,but not bad. I will leave keep this thread at the top unitl you get the answers you need,,if I have missed something,, Im sure others will chime in. Best Regards Larry
    A very popular maker with at least one collector that I know of who is even more serious than most about this specific maker - with Larry’s post as a start to add to the background story of Jetter & Scheerer it also made a number of items like pocket knives etc. But it was perhaps best known as a maker of medical/surgical instruments at which it excelled. Also being a producer of the 84/98 combat bayonets for the German Army circa 1935 to 1941. And reverting to its core business in medical equipment circa April 1941, using the German Army maker’s code (Fertigungskennzeichen) “dnw”. Best regards to all, Fred
    Last edited by Frogprince; 01-24-2013 at 01:36 AM.

Quote by AlecH View Post
    Good luck, Alec. Looks like a good piece ! In this country, if there is
    a sticker or tag that has a price on it, that's what the item sells for.
    If there is another, cheaper price underneath a sticker, a buyer
    lawfully pays the lesser figure.

I hate 'Nickle and Dime' dealers.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Well, I bought the bayonet this morning, surprisingly it all went off sweetly, seller was for once full of milk and honey, went into the back room brought out a what he called a "etched Bavarian Sword" in good condition for sale. I'll have to do some research, see how far I get, may show it up later, don't like to monopolise the blades forum to much. Again thanks for the help on this, much appreciated. Good Luck

?

I only saw this thread now.
    A fine dress bayonet.
    I would have liked to tag along and video tape the sellers panic reaction - sounds very entertaining, LOL.
    Please DO monopolize the blade forums some more - I for one look forward to seeing some historical cold steel.