MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

k98 bayo with SS Totenkopf engraving

Article about: Good morning guys! What are you thinking about this bayo? Or, my main question stays - is there are any chance that this Totenkopf-engraving may be real??

Default Re: k98 bayo with SS Totenkopf engraving

Quote by Bruno View Post
    Just one more question (again for Reibert and AndyB): how would you explain that this polish scabbard has yugoslav acceptance marks?
    The question was not directed to me, but if I can interject here for a moment - it may be that the scabbard marking is somewhat indistinct. Both Poland and Yugoslavia used a triangular marking, with what seems to be inside it a letter "M" which would make it Polish. With as Andy stated, the screw on the side being a sign of a German rework, and agreeing with both (and the others) that it's a postwar fake added "SS" marking. FP

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement k98 bayo with SS Totenkopf engraving
    P
    Many

?

Frogprince is right, Reibert probably interchanged the both similar markings, in this case its polish proof.

Yugoslav acceptance stamps are similarly to the polish triangle markings, I mistook it, sorry ´bout that ...
    Have a look in there:
    http://www.wpk.p.lodz.pl/~bolas/main...gnety/wz27.htm
    http://www.wpk.p.lodz.pl/~bolas/main...gnety/wz29.htm

Also an interesting site:
    http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/...%20Mausers.htm

?

Thank you very much, Frogprince - its getting more and more clear

My last (probably) Q-n: is there are any possibility that this reworked (and probably commercial) k98 bayo with polish-made scabbard belongs to early SS-equipment (not talking about engraving which is almost certainly faked) ?

Quote by Bruno View Post
    My last (probably) Q-n: is there are any possibility that this reworked (and probably commercial) k98 bayo with polish-made scabbard belongs to early SS-equipment (not talking about engraving which is almost certainly faked) ?
    Of course as with many things there can almost always be possibilities, with the question being what is the probability: - Is it a 50%, or is it a .000000001% probability? From what can be seen in the images, the bayonet appears to be a postwar rework with a (non-matching comparable finish) flashguard of indeterminate origin, along with replaced grips. But what exactly was it before then? A now devoid of markings military or domestic commercial bayonet? Or one of the marked or unmarked export models? (All of which have been seen PW ‘transformed’ at one time or another into “SS” bayonets.) With my own personal confidence level of it being a legitimate period SS bayonet on the side with all of the zeros from what I've seen so far. FP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2