Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

k98 bayonet

Article about: Last summer i purchased this bayonet at a car boot sale. I believe it is a 1940 non matching. My question is, what is the significance of the 4 white lines that have been been painted at the

mpw
    ?

Default k98 bayonet

Last summer i purchased this bayonet at a car boot sale. I believe it is a 1940 non matching. My question is, what is the significance of the 4 white lines that have been been painted at the fixing point? My thoughts are it is something to do with training. The frog was purchased recently and I'm not sure if it is original as it has no markings.
    Mark

k98 bayonet
    k98 bayonetk98 bayonetk98 bayonet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement k98 bayonet
    P
    Many

Default Re: k98 bayonet

I can't help you on the stripes but I also have a ddl 40 serial 528d

The white marks could be anything. I don't know of any others having those same markings. Who know, maybe they represent how many were unfortunate enough to meet the pointy end of the bayonet and not live to tell about it. But that's only a guess. As for the frog not being marked, that's not really unusual. I have one that's not marked and one that is marked. For the few pics you posted the frog may be a good period frog.

helmetone, I agree with you. The lines usually represented lives taken by that certain bayonet. I have a ww1 issue sawback, which has 9 lines etched under the handle, so that if the person caught with the bayonet wouldn't face severe punishment in POW camps, by hiding the amount of lives taken.

mpw
    ?

Thanks for the replies. The serial No is 2460 c and the frog does seem to show natural wear and tear.

Mark

Markk98 bayonetk98 bayonet

?

The serial is 2460 e, interesting is the scabbard mouth, probably from other type of scabbard and reworked, for this speaks the 53 number under code.