Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

K98 bayonet

Article about: This is out of my normal ballywhack, but it just caught my eye and gave me an idea for displaying my TR awards. I was looking these up and all the pictures showed the baldes as being blued,

Default K98 bayonet

This is out of my normal ballywhack, but it just caught my eye and gave me an idea for displaying my TR awards. I was looking these up and all the pictures showed the baldes as being blued, but this one looks to be in the white. he dosen't show any eagles except for a bad strike on the ball of the scabbard. The code is Eickhorn? From others I've looked at at shows it all looks ok to me. Could I trouble you for a little of your knowldege please? Thank you for your time and any help.

K98 bayonetK98 bayonetK98 bayonet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 bayonet
    P
    Many

Default Re: K98 bayonet

Hi Pete,, you have decent and complete K98 rig,, but I am curious if the scabbard number matches the blade. You can find that number close to the lip of the scabbard. The bluing will have to be answered by one of the K98 collectors. The stamping on the scabbard ball is common to see hit like that. Nice rig. I like the wooden grips. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Every example I have seen has been blued....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Shame it has been sharpened which is not a good thing on value
    cof is eickhorn
    Last edited by reneblacky; 03-02-2013 at 07:19 AM. Reason: added text and screwed up- thought it was ccf

I take back my statement that is was sharpened.
    Here's my 43 clc that is sharpened

If memory serves me correctly, the earliest 1942 dated 98K bayonets from Eickhorn (cof) still had a high polish blue and black Bakelite grips. But that soon changed for them and a number of other makers as standards slipped, and the demand for combat bayonets kept increasing. To me it looks like perhaps the lighting here is playing tricks as the result of glare, and the angle?? With as an illustration, a pair of relatively high polish blades that have very close to all of their original bluing still intact - but with a lot of glare. And another that shows how a rough but completely original factory grinding appears lighter, even though with a change in the angle it's the same blue color as the rest of the blade. FP
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 bayonet  
    Attached Images Attached Images K98 bayonet 

THank you very much for your help fellas, now I see how glare can change how things look, even Renes blade looks "in the white" after the flash. I do like this one and I think I'll bid on it. WIsh me luck! lol