MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

K98 Bayonet

Article about: I was given this bayonet along with a couple of armbands from an estate. The numbers on the bayonet and the scabbard match. Is there any value here. I'm not looking to sell them but just cur

Default K98 Bayonet

I was given this bayonet along with a couple of armbands from an estate.
    The numbers on the bayonet and the scabbard match. Is there any value
    here. I'm not looking to sell them but just curious. Rich

K98 Bayonet
    K98 Bayonet
    K98 Bayonet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 Bayonet
    P
    Many

It looks like you have a nice matching bayonet along with a nice condition frog. There is good value. You can compare some well known auction sites for price comparison.
    John

Rich,

As John has mentioned you have a nice matching bayonet and scabbard and frog, we don't appraise here on the forum but as John has suggested there are some auction houses that can give you an idea.. When you search,, type in: matching numbered bayonet and scabbard for some price ideas.

PS Nice Bakelite handle too..

Smitty

Yes, that looks like a better than average condition bayonet, with early war combat frog and appears to be marked 42 cof (Carl Eickhorn). I've seen other 1942 Eickhorns with wood hand grips with the red bakelite more commonly seen in 1943. This could be a late 1942 production bayonet. Very collectable and well worth hanging onto.

A matching bayo and scabbard is always a plus. Someone
    may have had the grip panels off, as the nuts look loose.
    You might be able to tighten them..........
    Regards,

Steve.

A desirable very late 1942 example, AndyB I think has the best source of recorded observations. My immediate sense of it being that it may have been re-gripped (?), with the grip screws installed on the opposite sides of the bayonet (ie: reversed). Wood grips coming back into use for some major makers sometime in 1942, and the red Bakelite types approved in 1943 (varies by maker). With the letter "z" block wood in 1943 for Eickhorn until sometime in 1944 for Wehrmacht production, before they switched to the reddish Bakelite. Best Regards, Fred

I think it's might just be a case of a curious recent owner of this bayonet having removed the grips to see what was underneath and then re-assembled it incorrectly.

?

As the piece is late 1942 period, the brown plastic grips could be real, but the screws were replaced in wrong position, both material were used in this range, wood too, when not any assembly numbers to find there so it would be hard confirm it grips are proper or not. b.r.Andy

That's my kind of gift. One can never have too many K98 bayonets.

Looks to be in great shape. I would hang onto it and pass down to family member eventually. Thanks for sharing it with us.