MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

K98 - Bayonet by E.u.F. Horster - 1940

Article about: Here is my last K98 bayonet to post. Been there and untouched with matching numbers. 1940 Model by Bayonet by E.u.F. Horster. Frog is unit marked bu I cannot make it out. Rossi

I'm sorry to say i'm not a bayonet collector even if i own quite a few, but when i see this (red oval), for me it's a NO-NO...(unless i do have spare screws (which is not the case).
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 - Bayonet by E.u.F. Horster - 1940
    P
    Many

I have extra original screws,so not a biggy,anyway I would rather have a buggered screw than a mismatched bayonet.JMO

TWS
    ?

I never take the grips off either. I'd rather not disturb them and risk marring the slots like in the photo JPhilip showed.

I might have to do a proper photo session, but a while back I snapped this when I had them all out of the box:

Since this photo the one on the far right has been sold and I have added a '44 bayonet - just because I wanted an example of a crude late-war model.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Look like nice bayonets!
    Last edited by Toecutter; 02-02-2019 at 06:46 AM.

?

Yes the K98 bayonets terms are used in normal conversation even on forums, i would only add the correct german designation is Seitengewehr 84/98 or S.84/98.
    Many errors occured in internet. The direction should be made some correction, mainly on sites in text for beginners and in publications.
    The deciphering of unit on backside of frog looks like correct, good work. b.r.Andy
    PS wout correct tool for dissasembly of screws and good oiling prior this work, is better not removed the grips and decrease value of bayonet, sometimes mainly on bakelit grips is easy to dissasemble.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    " S84/98 is correct designation of bayonet, as K98 is designation of Carbine even not fully correct K98k." AndyB.

You are being a little pedantic here. We are all aware it's a "S84/98", certainly I am, but for brevity all collectors use "K98" to describe the bayonet type. And that's unlikely to change. Just like referring to bakelite as "dark plastic" I guess.

Hello,

I have to agree with Andy. K98 or K98k bayonet is completely wrong. No matter what any collector calls in their ignorance.

The S84 / 98 adapted to other weapons, as well fit other models on the G or K98, etc. In addition, the S84 / 98 was developed in 1915, the K98k until 1935 ...

?

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    Hello,

I have to agree with Andy. K98 or K98k bayonet is completely wrong. No matter what any collector calls in their ignorance.

The S84 / 98 adapted to other weapons, as well fit other models on the G or K98, etc. In addition, the S84 / 98 was developed in 1915, the K98k until 1935 ...
    No offence on my end taken or meant here but...It’s not ignorance. It’s collectors choice and frankly I have called it a K98 for 35 years and won’t likely change my terminology for others gratification. Not trying to be a dick but I know what it is . Be well and let’s not take this hobby so serious sometimes so wheels come off
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    Hello,

You are entitled to your opinion, but saying the designation "k98 bayonet" is wrong, may be technically correct (I often use S.84/98 myself) but isn't in itself a reason why the popular term shouldn't be used (and it may not be out of ignorance). It is a pedantic fascination by some collectors to constantly correct others. I would compare it to the common use of the word "Luger" to describe the P.08 pistol, or "Mauser" rifle to describe the K98 rifle. Should we be saying to those who say they own a "Luger" pistol, "Actually it's not a Luger it's a P.08 parabellum." There are names and terms that have been invented by collectors, but long as it's not causing confusion, why worry about it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2