Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

K98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The Story

Article about: Several weeks ago I posted some questions and pictures of a K98 bayonet I was looking at. I had plans to go see it last weekend and it all fell through. Last night I got to go to see the bay

SRB
    ?

wd40 cant help ....... much harder to go

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The Story
    P
    Many

SRB
    ?

Red face

I'm a little proud of myself (not matching numbers, but I do not mind)........ 20e (price and delivery)K98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The StoryK98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The StoryK98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The Story

Quote by SRB View Post
    u need for this screws - screw driver spanner and regularAttachment 958183
    Dear SRB, Do you know what size spanner it takes? What number spanner? I see individual bits for sale but I need to know a size.

Thanks,

William

Thanks to all the many posts. I was away for a few days and missed quite a few.

Thanks,

William

I used PB Blaster on the release button & screws. Both screws came out fairly easily and the catch loosened up well. I am now ready to soak them in vinegar to remove the rust. Does it matter whether it is white or apple vinegar? About how long should I allow them to soak? Do you use a little steel wool on the parts then?

Are there any marking I should be looking for under the wooden grips on the tang or on the clip plate (not sure what that top piece of metal is called or what it is for)?

William

I used white vinegar, its hard to judge time as condition of rust can vary if its light maybe only a few hours, zero grade wire wool or scotchbrite will help to remove surface rust, pretty much soak it for a few hours wipe it over and repeat until you are happy.
    regards marks i think sometimes the release catch is marked and maybe the wooden grips.
    i have three here where the catch is stuck, what is pb blaster.

Quote by wpheaton View Post
    ..................... Are there any marking I should be looking for under the wooden grips on the tang or on the clip plate (not sure what that top piece of metal is called or what it is for)?

William
    William, It's usually called a "flashguard" and dates from the Imperial time period that was originally designed to protect the wood grips from the muzzle flash from some of the rifles of that era. Some of which were still in use in the TR era - which if you've ever fired one at night emits a large ball of flame .

Early TR bayonets had forging die markings, assembly numbers, serial numbers, and Waffenamt markings internally that gradually decreased to zero or just a few as time went on. Being seen on the tangs, flashguards, and grips (not necessarily all of them on the same item, it varies by maker and time period). Best Regards, Fred

Quote by greatwhite View Post
    I used white vinegar, its hard to judge time as condition of rust can vary if its light maybe only a few hours, zero grade wire wool or scotchbrite will help to remove surface rust, pretty much soak it for a few hours wipe it over and repeat until you are happy.
    regards marks i think sometimes the release catch is marked and maybe the wooden grips.
    PB Blaster is a US brand of penetrating solvent, it works really great.

I have had them in for a few hours at home. I will get them out when I get home and check them.

Thanks,

William

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    William, It's usually called a "flashguard" and dates from the Imperial time period that was originally designed to protect the wood grips from the muzzle flash from some of the rifles of that era. Some of which were still in use in the TR era - which if you've ever fired one at night emits a large ball of flame .

Early TR bayonets had forging die markings, assembly numbers, serial numbers, and Waffenamt markings internally that gradually decreased to zero or just a few as time went on. Being seen on the tangs, flashguards, and grips (not necessarily all of them on the same item, it varies by maker and time period). Best Regards, Fred
    Great information Fred, thanks, I can't wait to get home and check for markings on the tang and flash guard. I see the need for a flash guard.

William

Default PB Blaster

Quote by greatwhite View Post
    K98 Bayonet Question - Continued - The Rest Of The Story

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2