Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

K98 Bayonet Question - Restoration Complete

Article about: This is my 3rd installment concerning the recent K98 bayonet I recently purchased. I have soaked the handle, screws, & flash guard in vinegar as suggested and it worked great. It removed

?

Quote by SRB View Post
    i dont know what nuber is,but im make my tool and work.
    I did the same thing. I found a common(flat blade) screw driver that was the right thickness and took my dremmel tool cutting wheel and cut a slot in it. Worked Great.

And to William,
    GREAT JOB!!!!. So does vinegar have any effect on the blueing???

Semper Fi
    Phil

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 Bayonet Question - Restoration Complete
    P
    Many

Something that I discovered from my early days as a gun collector (which was prior to my blade collecting) was that ordinary screwdrivers had blades that were tapered from narrow at the tip to wider in thickness as it got closer to the handle. Which oftentimes is why guns that had been taken apart with them have rounded/rolled over edges in the slots - which (unfortunately) is also not that uncommon with some bayonets, dagger scabbard screws, etc. that have been taken apart with taper bladed screwdrivers. Which of course can be corrected by making the sides of the screwdriver blade first either parallel, or with a very slightly hollow ground configuration like those made for gunsmiths that fit perfectly at the bottoms of the slots. As for vinegar I've never used it myself, but for some of those who work on guns it seems to be considered a bluing removal agent that they could use prior to completely refinishing a gun (not immediate it seems to be a function of time and the concentration). Best Regards, Fred

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I did the same thing. I found a common(flat blade) screw driver that was the right thickness and took my dremmel tool cutting wheel and cut a slot in it. Worked Great.

And to William,
    GREAT JOB!!!!. So does vinegar have any effect on the blueing???

Semper Fi
    Phil
    I believe it would, i presume only the top third was soaked, ive used white vinegar before with great results.

SRB
    ?

Vinegar destroys color (blueing) and is commonly used when you want to re-paint with vinegar removing old paint.
    Blueing is not only difficult,just u need - sodium hydroxide (a.k.a. lye or caustic soda),sodium nitrate (a.k.a fertilizer or saltpeter) and distilled water all that cook on 150c

SRB
    ?

Bayonet tools K98 Bayonet Question - Restoration CompleteK98 Bayonet Question - Restoration Complete

I only soaked the handle tang in the vinegar. I guess I will have to try making my own tool for bayonet screws.

Thanks to all for make this post so interesting & informative.

William

Nice work! and interesting topic! Regards,Geoff

Those grip tools are on ebay £19.99, tempted.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3