Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

K98 bayonet vs. The Firemans dress bayonet. differences

Article about: Hello Gents....I had just recently moved a screaming example of a Firemansdress bayonet out of the K98 forum and into the main dagger forum..for reasons of others and that even I myself thin

sabers are also used for walking out by EM... Extra-Säbel für Mannschaften...

and officers and Portepee-Unteroffiziere ( senior NCO ) also used bayonets...

The service bayontes were sold to the Waffenamt. The Waffenamt deliffered the service bayontes to the 3 branch of service of the Wehrmacht: Heer, Luftwaffe + Kriegsmarine. Later this bayontes also were given from the Wehrmacht to the RAD, Waffen-SS and others.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 bayonet  vs. The Firemans dress bayonet. differences
    P
    Many

The different versions of the FG42 (Fallschirmjägergewehr) also used a spike (or “needle”) type of bayonet. The “Extra” (dress) sabers for the use of enlisted men off duty was mentioned in the abstract from Die Klinge, and was in addition to the earlier “Extasäbel” catalog entries that were cited. With the example here the actual military service model from the TR period - being reworked from a Prussian 1856 (new model) artillery saber. Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 bayonet  vs. The Firemans dress bayonet. differences  
    Attached Images Attached Images K98 bayonet  vs. The Firemans dress bayonet. differences 
    Last edited by Frogprince; 11-01-2013 at 07:13 AM. Reason: typo correction

The bayonet to the FG42 was named a Bajonett... not a Seitengewehr.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 bayonet  vs. The Firemans dress bayonet. differences  
    Attached Images Attached Images K98 bayonet  vs. The Firemans dress bayonet. differences 

Good conversation Gents!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

As Mannschaftssäbel (look also the H.Dv. 122 Die Blanken Waffen) the German Kavallerie used until Dezember 1940 the old Modell out of the imperial Army - and captuerd ones. The Cossak used them until 1945.

?

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    The different versions of the FG42 (Fallschirmjägergewehr) also used a spike (or “needle”) type of bayonet. The “Extra” (dress) sabers for the use of enlisted men off duty was mentioned in the abstract from Die Klinge, and was in addition to the earlier “Extasäbel” catalog entries that were cited. With the example here the actual military service model from the TR period - being reworked from a Prussian 1856 (new model) artillery saber. Regards, Fred
    Interesting

While in the U.S. - the Army, Marines, and other armed forces are probably still going to call those “pointy things” that we put on the ends of our rifles bayonets. It is well noted that in German context Seitengewehr is preferred with blades, and Bajonett is preferred for spikes, along with a list of other preferred descriptions for other types. And the FG42 (rifle) is an interesting weapon that I had in hand not that long ago with a lot of interesting features. But not so much the bayonet, which was a copy I believe of the French MAS Modèle 36 that I was already familiar with.

I also have noted the captured swords on the Fremden Gerät listing, but can’t say that I’ve seen any of them that I could associate with German use by markings or other features. With what I also found interesting with the Soviet Union grouping, being the fact that I saw the Bajonett 140(r) and Bajonett 141(r), but did not see the Russian 1881 pattern Shashka. Not that I am disputing that they were used, because I’m certain that I have photos showing ex-Soviet Russian soldiers in German service with Soviet Shashkas. With one photo that I remembered showing it without its bayonet and the trooper having as I recall a part of a German uniform, which is why I posed this (old) side by side image the way you see it now. Regards, Fred

Always informative a lot learned Sleepwalker and Frogprience. Thanks for your expertise. I love these threads. timothy

This is not the picture that I was originally thinking of which clearly showed a Soviet motif pommel. But I think that it can still be seen that they are carrying Russian Shashkas on their left side with the fittings/mounts of brass contrasted with the black leather. Regards, Fred

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2