Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

K98 bayont buy - any info welcome

Article about: So I only have WW1 bayonets, and I wanted to expand my WW1 bayonet collection, unfortunately my dealer had sold out on WW1 bayonets, so I decided to get myself a WW2 bayonet, of which he had

?

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    Jim, As I know that you already know - the red Bakelite grips used sawdust and larger wood particles as a filler, whereas the earlier black Bakelite grips used something like a finely divided wood flour. And if I had to make a guess myself (without the benefit of extra pictures or a look at the insides for markings) it's that the grips are probably originals of the black Bakelite type that's been sanded. Best Regards, Fred

You are probably right Fred. The pictures aren't the greatest and if they are sanded on, that might be what looked like grain to me.

Jim

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 bayont buy -  any info welcome
    P
    Many

Hey! Thanks for the replies!

I thought the grips were wood, but if you guys think it may be bakelite, are there any pics I can upload that may confirm? Or how can I tell for sure?

Do you guys conclude it is Bakelite or Wood?

edit:

upon closer inspection, the edges of the grip, and the grooves are sort of 'shiny', the seller told me it was a wooden handle, and it looked like it, but I guess it may be bakelite. The sucky thing is, he was selling another K98 bayo for slightly more, also matching numbers from 39, which was definitely wood handle (lighter wood-colour). Looks like I've been swindled! I'll be honest in that my knowledge on K98 is sadly lacking, but I've learned a lot. I don't understand why the dealer does this if I've bought bayonets there before.. *sigh*

?

Quote by Wolfang View Post

I thought the grips were wood, but if you guys think it may be bakelite, are there any pics I can upload that may confirm? Or how can I tell for sure?

edit:

upon closer inspection, the edges of the grip, and the grooves are sort of 'shiny', the seller told me it was a wooden handle, and it looked like it, but I guess it may be bakelite. The sucky thing is, he was selling another K98 bayo for slightly more, also matching numbers from 39, which was definitely wood handle (lighter wood-colour). Looks like I've been swindled!
    Actually, bakelite grips is what should be on it. Whoever sanded all the finish off the rest of the bayo must have sanded on the grips some too, giving the appearance of wood. Good thing about bakelite, the color runs all the way through it, so you can polish them back to their original appearance.

The other bayo, being a 39, could have had wood grips originally, depending on the maker.

Jim

Quote by Wolfang View Post

.................................................. ......
    For future reference here are some old images from other threads that have been edited for this one (noting that some are better than others depending on when and what I was using for imaging at the time). First, a well worn but original period rework that used as is recycled grips - noting the nick and scratches that are oftentimes seen. (Needing a much better level of resolution - but if you look closely you can I think see the mottling that is caused by the wood flour filler being exposed in places). Next an original but still very decent circa 1930's set of wood grips showing the grain pattern. With more or less the same condition for a set of original Bakelite grips on another post 1938 period bayonet. Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 bayont buy -  any info welcome   K98 bayont buy -  any info welcome  

K98 bayont buy -  any info welcome  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2