Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

k98 frog question

Article about: i want to buy the attached frog(only) but it seems suspicious to me can anyone tell me is it real? best wishes

?

It doesn't appear big enough for a 98/05, but it is hard to be 100% certain without anything for scale.

Jim

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement k98 frog question
    P
    Many

i have looked in the internet a frogs to compare and this one looks smaller than the 98/05,because of small amount of other collectors
    i've bought it for the equality of 35$.
    thanks one more time!
    good night!(or day)

Hello,
    The frog that you bought is for a 84/98 bayonet.
    Seitengewehrtaschen for the 98/05 bayonet does not have a retaining strap and are much larger than this one.
    As we speak about the retaining strap, you can see on the last photo posted that it is not taken in sandwich between the front and back parts of the frog. It means that this frog was for unmounted personel at first, then it received a retaining strap according to the rule of 1939 concerning frogs. First method was to cut the leather on the front part to insert the retaining strap. That's the way used here...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

a little level up to my knowledge
    thanks a lot!

Being mostly in agreement, a minor observation from my own perspective is that the first tie strap frogs using the cutout in the front piece that was held in place by the central line of stitching (as was stated) were first. With that particular method seen used at least as late as 1943, and as early as 1935 with dated frogs that to me show no signs of being altered after they were manufactured. With the other type with the tie strap sandwiched in between the folded front/back piece and stitched at the edges possibly a shortcut that many/most makers used that was arguably more practical/secure. Which is not to say that some examples of frogs might not have been modified at some point having different type/colored thread etc. that tend to indicate that some alterations have taken place. Best Regards, Fred

?

Second piece bayonet looks better as first one, anyway the blueing is probably renewed postwar.b.r.Andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2