Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

K98 short dress bajonet

Article about: I doubt about the authenticity of the bayonet. The bayonet has no finish anymore (or never had) What you think of this bayonet? Good or Bad? Thanks!

Default K98 short dress bajonet

I doubt about the authenticity of the bayonet.
    The bayonet has no finish anymore (or never had)

What you think of this bayonet?
    Good or Bad?

Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 short dress bajonet   K98 short dress bajonet  

K98 short dress bajonet   K98 short dress bajonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 short dress bajonet
    P
    Many

Default Re: K98 short dress bajonet

IMO, bad. To me the paint doesn't look period, on the handle and the sheath. also some close-ups of the blade are needed.

Regards,
    Finn

Looks like a bad repro

Here a close up from the maker:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 short dress bajonet  

My impressions are that the bayonet could have been assembled postwar. The blade is not your typical short dress bayonet type but was intended for the Hitler Youth honor bayonet worn by the H J Wachgefolgschaft. The hilt is either postwar produced or unfinished leftover from the war. Note that the quillon still shows the mold line running up the center. On original bayonets these mold lines have been buffed off. I haven't seen enough of the scabbard to comment.

Hi, the bayonet is a standard late production item with moulded hilt. You are correct: all the finish is missing from it. This may be unfinished or it has been removed.

(Is the pic which shows the red felt insert the same bayonet, as the finish looks much beter here?)

The blade looks standard to me.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi, the bayonet is a standard late production item with moulded hilt. You are correct: all the finish is missing from it. This may be unfinished or it has been removed.

(Is the pic which shows the red felt insert the same bayonet, as the finish looks much beter here?)

The blade looks standard to me.

Cheers, Ade.
    It does look like two different bayonets to me also. One with an aged zinc hilt with no visible plating. And another that is more brightly finished. While I think that some more pictures might be needed, could this be a set of "before and after" images? One as found. And after a gray/oxide layer was removed? FP

original bayonet with the above features noted,,,i have encountered many of these over the years....

Indeed an original example with a badly worn or flaked off finish. I see them like this quite often. Usually, the finish is gone from areas that regularly see handling and not on the areas rarely touched. But I have seen them dull all around the plating like this one. It seems the sheath may have been repainted at some point or touched up. NH

?

def. looks like the finish is gone. But some ww1 examples of dress bayonets have "dark" and actually black pommels and finishings as well. Im not saying this is ww1 by any means, but that is what came to mind as I veiwed the first picture. the second photo doesnt even look like the same bayonet! Also, I have even seen people go as far as inserting modern red felt inside to try and make it seem like the red felt was still intact

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast