Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ks98

Article about: Hello all, here's my parade bayonet. Eckhorn + L. Gladrow greifswald I appriciate all your thoughts and comments. Any info welcome! Thanks!

?

I'm going to jump off into the deep end and say that I don't like it. The more I study the details, they look sloppy and dull, not sharp and crisp lines as it should be. There are a lot of inconsistencies, too many to be explained by differences in the hand of different craftsmen. This is my opinion and I've been wrong before, so I asked Billy G. if he would give an opinion as well.

Jim

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ks98
    P
    Many

?

Here is an example shared by member RH1941. Have a look at how crisp and sharp the letters and scroll work is in comparison to yours.

Jim

Here is the original thread:
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/k98-b...horn-484046-2/
    Attached Images Attached Images Ks98 

Dok
    ?

Jim thanks for answers. I myself like a bayonet, but I'm no expert. Let's hear another opinion Billy G.

?

Quote by Dok View Post
    Jim thanks for answers. I myself like a bayonet, but I'm no expert. Let's hear another opinion Billy G.
    Agreed, I would like a second opinion as well! The 1st set of pictures looked promising, not anything obviously wrong with it, except for the border above the rifles. Thing is, I've seen etched bayo's condemned for far less. Who know's, maybe some bayonets are condemned for little flaws that are legitimate. Collectors are very leery, with good reason, of anything not text book when it comes to etched bayonets. Most, including myself, believe that they can be convincingly reproduced today.

Best Regards,
    Jim

Hi Gents,

Sorry I'm late to the party, it's been a busy week for me. I agree with Jim that the etch inconsistencies are always troubling to see on an Eickhorn etch since normally their work was very nice. Certainly when compared to Holler products. But that said, I've long heard from the old time collectors that the Germans were human & made mistakes just like the rest of us, maybe not so often but they were far from perfect, particularly later in the 3R.

As far as this one goes, I've seen what I've believed to be period Eick etches with such errors as Jim describes. Would it be possible to see a clearer picture of the fit of the grip plates & what the obverse & reverse rivets look like? I see nothing in them that look suspect but a closer look might yield something else.

Dok
    ?

Billy thank you for your opinion. I like your thoughts. For the full picture will offer some more pictures.
    Ks98
    Ks98
    Ks98
    Ks98

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2