Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe Frog - Berlin 1937 maker marked

Article about: This frog has some markings on it that I can not make out and hope someone may recognize it and complete it for me. The frog is maker marked Kurt Seidel Berlin W35 1937 and is stamped LBA. T

Default Luftwaffe Frog - Berlin 1937 maker marked

This frog has some markings on it that I can not make out and hope someone may recognize it and complete it for me. The frog is maker marked Kurt Seidel Berlin W35 1937 and is stamped LBA. There is also an imprint of the following which I can not absolutely say what the first four characters are. Does the number look like a catalog number or a unit number -

L/KA 253 or L/KB 253 or maybe the L is an I and the A or B is a number. What would make most sense? The LBA is lightly stamped below the seam under the L/KA; did not photograph well and I only found it when looking at the number series with magnafier.

Frog itself is worn and split at slot where the scabbard hook inserts.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Frog - Berlin 1937 maker marked   Luftwaffe Frog - Berlin 1937 maker marked  

Luftwaffe Frog - Berlin 1937 maker marked   Luftwaffe Frog - Berlin 1937 maker marked  

Luftwaffe Frog - Berlin 1937 maker marked   Luftwaffe Frog - Berlin 1937 maker marked  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Frog - Berlin 1937 maker marked
    P
    Many

Nice early frog I would assume Luftwaffe LBA is belonging to them unit mark not sure someone will know Sleepwalker, or Fred nice piece to me. timothy

As Timothy says (LBA) = Luftwaffe Bekleidungsamt that I believe is translated as a Luftwaffe Clothing Depot. With Luftwaffe unit markings IMO inconsistent enough to not make them easily translatable at least for many examples. I'm also not really sure in this case just what the marking (other than the LBA) actually is. But what caught my attention even more is the fact that this frog looks like a no tie strap full/center line of stitching type. Not impossible to find, but also not very common (at least in my experience). Best Regards, Fred

interesting what you noted regarding the stitching. I have taken a look at another LBA. marked frog I have and it's sticking is only about an inch long. It is marked I/Flakrgt. 22 and made by Wilhelm Kansen&Braen. Solingen. dated 1933 (last two digits worn).

Regarding the pattern of the frog and the stitching - Have examples by Kurt Seidel dated 1937 through 1941 (inclusive) documented in the databases. These include both styles (short & long center stitch) without retention strap, and the mounted version with strap.

Regarding the unit marking - The center line of stitching makes it difficult to see the stamping clearly. That said, the marking appears to be I./K.G.253.

My thoughts only .....

Quote by kriegsmodell View Post
    Regarding the pattern of the frog and the stitching - Have examples by Kurt Seidel dated 1937 through 1941 (inclusive) documented in the databases. These include both styles (short & long center stitch) without retention strap, and the mounted version with strap.

Regarding the unit marking - The center line of stitching makes it difficult to see the stamping clearly. That said, the marking appears to be I./K.G.253.

My thoughts only .....
    any insight as to what KG would stand for?

When I was more actively researching some of them I kept some notes - with the Roman numeral "I" most likely a specific area command. And the "K.G. 253" representing Kampfgeschwader 253, a bomber unit which can sometimes even be refined down to the aircraft types it flew. (There was also a lot of restructuring constantly going on so it's sort of like trying to hit a moving target with identifying some of the markings ). Best Regards, Fred

Quote by josephc View Post
    any insight as to what KG would stand for?
    Kampfgeschwader or "Battle Wing" which was the terminology used for bomber units/formations.

Hello,

this is a early frog of the Luftwaffe with a scarer long middle stiching. Only two makers made this version until 1937.

LBA is the Luftwaffe Bekleidungsamt Berlin (early stamp out of a time only one LBA existed, later B for Berlin was added)

1./ KG 553 = 1. Gruppe / Kampfgeschwader 253 "General Wever"

Kampfgeschwader 253

The 1. Gruppe was formed on 1. Oktober 1935

Regards