Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M84/98 - Frankenstein

Article about: This bayonet, frog and scabbard came with a "rig" I bought a number of years ago (belt, Luft buckle, ammo pouch) for a paltry sum of \\$125.00 I suspected but did not care if it was

MAP
    ?

Default M84/98 - Frankenstein

This bayonet, frog and scabbard came with a "rig" I bought a number of years ago (belt, Luft buckle, ammo pouch) for a paltry sum of $125.00

I suspected but did not care if it was "put together" as the parts alone were worth much more than the price of admission.

So the other day I took the bayonet off the belt and started looking at it again and wonder

As you can see, it is all mismatched and has the wrong scabbard. But from the wear of the paint on the scabbard you can see the frog as been on it for a very long time. Not a recent addition.

But would like to show anyway and get some feedback.

Bayonet is a 1942 made Alexander Coppel (fnj) Serial #2062 h. Condition is just fair with some very minor pitting on the blade. WaA519 stampings on the rear of the grip but not stamping on the release button. What is odd is that the handle at one time appears to be painted white. Anyone ever see a white camo bayonet???

The black painted scabbard I think is for a parade bayonet. No markings at all. Appears to be steel as it is magnetic. Any help?

Now the frog is different. I'm not up to speed on frogs, it has a strap which I am not used to, and the rivets are brass and not steel. Finally, the back of the frog is unit stamped and also stamped with a "K". Any help with this type of frog and markings would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I can not make out most of the stampings. All I can make out are 6./A. (the "6"" could also be an "8" or "S" and potentially "32". Any help?

Thanks and Regards,

Michael

M84/98 - FrankensteinM84/98 - FrankensteinM84/98 - FrankensteinM84/98 - FrankensteinM84/98 - FrankensteinM84/98 - FrankensteinM84/98 - FrankensteinM84/98 - FrankensteinM84/98 - FrankensteinM84/98 - FrankensteinM84/98 - FrankensteinM84/98 - FrankensteinM84/98 - Frankenstein
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M84/98 - Frankenstein
    P
    Many

I think so..the bayo Guys will chew this one apart
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

MAP
    ?

Yup! Fully expected a flogging of this one. But as noted, the whole package cost $125 and that included a nice belt, a Luft Buckle and an ammo pouch. The bayo as such was a freebie and I put the whole rig on the mannequin...

But there are some things that are "interesting" in an odd way. The white painted grips? And the unit marked frog with the "K".

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Yes the grips was probably camo painted white, the scabbard could be other modell, any securing rivets on mouth from side? the lenght of scabbard is same as blade, certainly not propper scabbard there. The frog is probably early one with brass rivets and added secure strap, the stamping is ok , it could be Artillery Regt, unknown number 32? and Battery nr.6. b.r.Andy

MAP
    ?

Quote by AndyB View Post
    Yes the grips was probably camo painted white, the scabbard could be other modell, any securing rivets on mouth from side? the lenght of scabbard is same as blade, certainly not propper scabbard there. The frog is probably early one with brass rivets and added secure strap, the stamping is ok , it could be Artillery Regt, unknown number 32? and Battery nr.6. b.r.Andy
    Thanks Andy. Interesting that they would paint the grips. I assumed this was for a camo but it was only guess on my part.

There are no rivets/screws or any stampings/marks (as best as I can tell) on the scabbard under the black paint. The blade is the same length from what I remember. I had a picture of the blade next to the scabbard but deleted by accident when I was downloading.....

I was assuming the frog was old with the brass but as noted I'm not up to speed on these. And I never knew that the straps were added which makes sense as the catch pin is alluminum and not brass like the rivets.

Thanks for the help.

Surely a frankenstien

Your s84/98 bayonet itself doesn't look to bad there Michael I have seen one or two original white washed s84/98 bayonets hard to find your white paint residue is interesting perhaps one whitewashed East front Bulge? and then white wash removed later on or even by vet post war. I don't know what to think of the scabbard unless it is a unmarked one for commercial or police issue bayonet I have never been able to put a s84/98 combat bayonet into a KS98 dress scabbard the blade of the 84 is too wide perhaps with modification it could be done I don't know frog is nice as Andy stated and agree could be for artillery unit. timothy

MAP
    ?

Thanks Timothy.

While a frankenstein, each part has a bit of a story which makes it interesting. The blade on the bayo is not bad at all but not mint. Most of the dark finish remains (but not that nice high gloss bluing) with just some minor pitting. I will take a picture and post it.

When I return home in a few days I will double check the length of the blade. Also if I remember correctly the blade only fits in the scabbard one way. Wont go in if it is reversed.

M

Quote by MAP View Post
    Thanks Timothy.

While a frankenstein, each part has a bit of a story which makes it interesting. The blade on the bayo is not bad at all but not mint. Most of the dark finish remains (but not that nice high gloss bluing) with just some minor pitting. I will take a picture and post it.

When I return home in a few days I will double check the length of the blade. Also if I remember correctly the blade only fits in the scabbard one way. Wont go in if it is reversed.

M
    For some reason that is true I have a s84/98 police property marked and it is in a unmarked so called commercial scabbard (Devoid of dates or Waa, codes) and the bayonet only goes in one way it is black painted like a KS 98 scabbard also. Cheers timothy

MAP
    ?

Quote by timothy View Post
    For some reason that is true I have a s84/98 police property marked and it is in a unmarked so called commercial scabbard (Devoid of dates or Waa, codes) and the bayonet only goes in one way it is black painted like a KS 98 scabbard also. Cheers timothy
    Interesting...how/why a commerical bayo was matched with these is a mystery. I will assume (for mine) it was a post war pairing...

Yes often scabbards got swapped around post war and even wartime I have a picture some where where there are bayonets lying in one pile and scabbard frogs in another in a capture pile for some reason they were separated so if a GI was bringing one home he would have just took a scabbard and put a bayonet in it he wasn't interested in matching or other things. timothy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast