Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Mountain Troop - Long Dress Bayonet

Article about: Hi Everyone, At the collectors club last night, alway a bit of horse trading going on, bought this long Mountain Troop Dress Bayonet with deer antlers handles, frog (L. Krumm - Langhardt 194

?

Default Mountain Troop - Long Dress Bayonet

Hi Everyone,
    At the collectors club last night, alway a bit of horse trading going on, bought this long Mountain Troop Dress Bayonet with deer antlers handles, frog (L. Krumm - Langhardt 1941) and green felt (jager) in handle slit. Normally, I like buy an item with a makers maker on it.This bayonet has only Solingen stamped on it, which - other collectors explained to me is a umbrella stamp used by makers based in Solingen area. To me, it seems strange that they are prepared to stamp other bayonets with makers maker - then use a collective stamp for Mountain Troop Dress Bayonets. Anyone have any information on this practise.
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mountain Troop - Long Dress Bayonet   Mountain Troop - Long Dress Bayonet  

Mountain Troop - Long Dress Bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mountain Troop - Long Dress Bayonet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Mountain Troop - Long Dress Bayonet

Hi Alec, it is a good original item.

The "Solingen" stamp to the blade was put there as a sign of quality to help the item sell even though it was not actually maker marked. (There was a similar practise here in England where knives and cutlery got marked "Sheffield". Both towns were their respective countries centres of steel making excellence.) Military tailors shops would order these private purchase bayonets devoid of makers markings to reatil themselves.

I would hesitate to label this as a Gebirgsjäger bayonet. The green felt insert is just generic for jäger.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi Adi,
    Thanks for your posting. I've right from the start, never had second thoughts about the genuineness of the bayonet, after all I bought it from collectors club president - he's straight down the line.The local collectors call it a Gebirgsjäger Bayonet - Mountain Troop Bayonet, which I took as a bayonet used exclusively by Mountain Troops i.e. deer antlers and the green felt in the handle slit indicated (jager) mountain troops. However looking through all the English language bayonet sites, its described as Stag Dress Bayonet, no mention of Mountain Troops? am I thinking along the right lines or way off the mark?
    Regards

Congrats !

You own an very fine "Extra-Seitengewehr", ("dress-bayonet").

The staghorn grip-plates doesn´t indicate, that this bayonet was in use only in the "Gebirgstruppe" !

Every soldier of every branch could buy an Extra-SG with this staghorn-plates instead the bakelite-plates.
    This kind of grip-plates "only" were more expensive ...

There´re actually "narrow" staghorn grip-plates made of wood !

"dress-bayo´s", "only" Solingen-marked are not seldom seen.

Cheers,

R.

?

Hi Reibert,
    Thanks for your posting, cleared up a couple of questions in my mind.
    Cheers