MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My 1st k98 bayonet

Article about: Not a lot of bayo's being posted lately, so I thought I would share the 1st k98 bayonet I purchased when I got back into collecting 20 some years ago. It is an Alexander Coppel, made in 1943

?

Default My 1st k98 bayonet

Not a lot of bayo's being posted lately, so I thought I would share the 1st k98 bayonet I purchased when I got back into collecting 20 some years ago. It is an Alexander Coppel, made in 1943 and marked fnj 43 with a mounted frog, also 1943 dated and marked KVZ for Timmermann & Wollet, Heidelberg. I found the frog sometime later and thought they belonged together. I picked the bayo from a fellow collector for $65. Boy those were the days, when you could buy a nice, numbers matching k98 bayo for under a 100 bucks, wish I would have bought all I could find

JimMy 1st k98 bayonetMy 1st k98 bayonetMy 1st k98 bayonetMy 1st k98 bayonetMy 1st k98 bayonetMy 1st k98 bayonet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My 1st k98 bayonet
    P
    Many

That's a nice one Jim I remember then too I sometimes get those old prices from my older collector friends we all do each other a favor when we can otherwise costs are prohibitive. Thanks for showing. timothy

Thats a sweetheart Jim !! ..those first ones were the most entrancing. Much thought and many unanswered questions. Then like a bag of chips...we indulge. The urge to control our appetite in steel is laughable.
    Attached Images Attached Images My 1st k98 bayonet 
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

How can you stop once you've started? Why would you want to

Jim

?

Here is most probably a reworked piece, it normally in this range should have wood grips and the locking nut was replaced. Anyway the possibility of plastic grips could be confirmed by dissasembling and looks for stamping or serialing on inner side.

?

I think we discussed this one several years ago and decided that it was a rework that was reblued as well, if I remember correctly. I don't remember if I took the grips off though, because I didn't have the proper screwdriver. I will take it apart and get some pictures this weekend.

Jim

?

Here you go Andy, the grips are waffenamt 883 as is the release button, not 519 as they should be at that time. The grips do have a hand stamped 74 on them. That would have been done by the armorer, correct?

Jim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My 1st k98 bayonet  

?

You should look to the locking nut maybe is too 74 serialed, it could be assembly or serial number, anyway like You correctly mentioned, the grips are from earlier 1940-42 Solingen production piece, serialed to 74 number by assembling.best regards,Andy

?

Quote by AndyB View Post
    You should look to the locking nut maybe is too 74 serialed, it could be assembly or serial number, anyway like You correctly mentioned, the grips are from earlier 1940-42 Solingen production piece, serialed to 74 number by assembling.best regards,Andy
    I had a look at the lock, I was going to disassemble it for pictures, but it did not want to break loose and I did not want to damage it. The lock is stamped WaA883 on top and hand stamped 74 on the bottom. Thanks for the insight Andy, I might have never noticed it had you not asked.

Regards,
    Jim

?

Thanks Jim for details, all parts that were replaced are probably from one piece, 74 assembly or serial numbered.b.r.Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast