Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My first TR blade k98 bayo 1939 Coppel GmbH

Article about: This is my first TR blade! The bayonet seems to be in good shape, but the scabbard confuses me? It looks like a period scabbard but I do not understand the markings, or why there is a screw

Default My first TR blade k98 bayo 1939 Coppel GmbH

This is my first TR blade! The bayonet seems to be in good shape, but the scabbard confuses me? It looks like a period scabbard but I do not understand the markings, or why there is a screw in it? Comments welcomed.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first TR blade k98 bayo 1939 Coppel GmbH
    P
    Many

Default Re: My first TR blade k98 bayo 1939 Coppel GmbH

Here is the area in question also are the other sides numbers identifiable to a different maker?

That is not the correct scabbard for the bayonet.

Firstly it does not have matching markings with the bayonet and secondly it is the wrong design - the screw should be on the side of the scabbard.

German WW1 S84-98 scabbards however generally had the screw at the front in the way that yours does.

The marking and the serial number make me think of Polish bayonets - they used a similar design of scabbard with a screw at the front.

I will consult my references and see if I can find out anything else.

Regards

Richie

Hello AmericanKraut,, but I will call you AK for short,, too much to spell. Many times bayonets will be separated at some period in time and put together with something similar so as not to get hurt. Many times this happened during the war post war and even recently,, just to complete the pair. Although mismatched the bayonet itself is period. It has seen and been in many battles ,,even close combat, where it was someone elses life that was possibly taken by it. Sounds cold and creepy doesnt it?? But thats the truth about any war. This would make for a great display along side an Army or Luft helmet including a flag. Nice pick up Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I plan on displaying it with my NSDAP banner, heer buckle, IAB, breadbag, and eventually add a Heer sd to finish the look. I have yet to find an affordable helmet...
    Thanks for the information guys

Nice pick-up - it certainly has been around. Looks like the blade has been
    cleaned as they are usually blued or blackened. There may also be a date
    on the spine near the crossguard. ( It's pre-war or early war with the
    makers name. After a time, code numbers were used )
    Regards,

Steve.

Its marked 39 thats why I put it in the title. I think that means 1939? Thanks for reminding me though because I almost missed the tiny stamp.

Oops. Lol, I by-passed the date in the title..........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Attachment 400156
    Attachment 400155
    Some pictures of my display, man I really need a helmet...
    Richie B, Ill just imagine someone picked the scabbard up in 39 during the Polish campaign.

Looking at this picture is kind of demeaning compared to my US collection I would say I have over 100 times more of it...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first TR blade k98 bayo 1939 Coppel GmbH   My first TR blade k98 bayo 1939 Coppel GmbH