Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need some help getting info about a bayonet.

Article about: Dear friends found bayonet assistance will not find anywhere like that. no candidate, not looking ... Info Type? origin? Year? thank you !!!

?

Default Need some help getting info about a bayonet.

Dear friends

found bayonet assistance will not find anywhere like that.

no candidate, not looking ...

Info Type? origin? Year?
    thank you !!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need some help getting info about a bayonet.
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Need some help getting info about a bayonet.

Need some help getting info about a bayonet.Need some help getting info about a bayonet.Need some help getting info about a bayonet.Need some help getting info about a bayonet.Need some help getting info about a bayonet.Need some help getting info about a bayonet.Need some help getting info about a bayonet.Need some help getting info about a bayonet.

Well it looks like a German Mauser type dress bayonet of the 1930's. I have never seen one with a saw back though- I wonder if someone has added this?

Edit, I have found some others like this on the web described as German WW1 period private purchase parade bayonets.

Hi Stewy welcome to the forum. This bayonet has seen its better days as this one is very salty and run down looking. None the less I can only add to so information that Douglass has commented also......The producer logo on the ricasso of the blade belongs to " Solinger Axt Und fabrik ...which it is noted in 1908 to have made bayonets. Someone else will have to comment on the saw back part of the bayonet. This producer had 2 logos ,,one with a kings head as you have listed on your bayo,,,( and also listed below ) and one with a Horses head which the latter made SA, RAD and Army daggers. This bayo may have been a left over from that early period and reissued..but again The bayo guys can give you more info on that. Below are the 2 logos used by this company. The kings head in 1908..and the Horse Head around 1933. Regards Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images Need some help getting info about a bayonet.  Need some help getting info about a bayonet. 
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hallo,

yes this is a Extra-Seitengewehr out of the period 1915 until end of the 1920´th, bought not only for dress (so its called Extra-Seitengewehr) but also for service by officers and senior NCO (see Orders 1915 to 1918 and the Bekleidungsvorschriften since 1924).

This example is damaged ... the hook of the rossguard is missing

The Kingshead you can find by the maker Weyersberg (until 1887) and since 1887 by Weyersberg, Kirschbaum & Co. Solingen..., a commen maker of this kind of bayontes. Is there a knighthead alongside ??

Regards

Stewy..is there any alpha ordnance codes visible at all..that you can see or rub away any dirt or rust. I feel these codes will be able to direct us to the identity of the maker since there are 2 opinions between Axt Und Hauerfabrik and WKC.
    Any markings on the ricasso or closest to the crossguard..and any markings on the top of the scabbard near the throat? Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Stewy..is there any alpha ordnance codes visible at all..that you can see or rub away any dirt or rust. I feel these codes will be able to direct us to the identity of the maker since there are 2 opinions between Axt Und Hauerfabrik and WKC.
    Any markings on the ricasso or closest to the crossguard..and any markings on the top of the scabbard near the throat? Regards Larry
    Larry, The bayonet is an Extra-Seitengewehr as Sleepwalker described it, but I don't think that we will find any ordnance codes unless it’s a Zahlencode S/242. Just kidding ..................... . And that’s because I knew that S/242 was Solinger Axt Und Hauerfabrik - but who were they? With the answer courtesy of my friend the late Anthony Carter, whose all too untimely passing deprived us of not only a valuable resource for collectors, but a true gentleman and scholar.

Solinger Axt Und Hauerfabrik known later as Berg & Co. With the company being formed shortly before WW I from the axe and machete departments of Weyersberg Kirschbaum & Co. And a name change in the early 1930’s, for a scarcer but well known maker of the SG 84/98 combat bayonets for the Wehrmacht.

PS: With Berg & Co. of course later getting the letter/alpha codes "agv" in October of 1941 and then "pyy" in 1944, and the earlier King's head logo most likely tied to the company having its origin with assets from WKC. Regards to all, Fred
    Last edited by Frogprince; 07-08-2013 at 05:21 AM. Reason: additional input

i was just going to say Extra seitengewher from WW1 as Larry pointed out about the makers mark. I like it and the saw back part. I have seen them with three rivits in grip I would think it would be with the up turned crosguard like common KS98 but maybe not I can't remember if there is one like it in Klaus Lubbe book or not but as Sleepwalker said it should have the hilt upswept part. Nice old hard to find sawback extra seitengewher bayonet often referred to as "Machine gunners bayonet" where that came from I don't know but I have seen some prominent WW1 dealers describing them that way. in all it is extra seitengehwer. timothy

?

Thank you my friends, cleaner!
    still looking for signs, and I write.

Quote by stewy View Post
    Thank you my friends, cleaner!
    still looking for signs, and I write.
    Hello Stewy, I am thinking that you are probably not going to find much if anything in the way of extra markings. As I’m in agreement with Sleepwalker as he described it as an Extra-Seitengewehr circa 1915 or later which is where I would tend to put it myself because of the dark type hilt fittings. With the attached image showing a pair of Preußischer Infanterieoffizierdegen M1889 which is what was being replaced at the front and in combat by using bayonets as bladed officer and senior grade NCO's sidearms instead of swords. With the example to the left a later blued steel hilt government issue Kriegsmodell (also showing a period acceptance mark), and the one to the right the earlier model. Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need some help getting info about a bayonet.  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast