MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

New guy here. I think its an SS Bayonet but you will know better!

Article about: by Dean You are very welcome, although I don't know if I really helped too much on this one. Stuka helped by stating the SS never manufactured bayonets, so this is helpful for me to know as

Quote by Dean View Post
    You are very welcome, although I don't know if I really helped too much on this one. Stuka helped by stating the SS never manufactured bayonets, so this is helpful for me to know as well. That said, it doesn't necessarily mean the SS never personalized their bayonets, but I would like to think they would add their name , regt. As well as runes. Just an idea. The runes do look nicely done though. They are even and not sloppy, which means the guy who did it had some idle time on his hands maybe during a lull in the battle. And also pride in his membership with the SS. All this is said by me giving the benefit of the doubt they ARE real , which I am NOT saying. Just to be clear. I tend to be a wishful thinker at times, and I have a vivid imagination
    I have that same imagination! So your no the only one!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New guy here. I think its an SS Bayonet but you will know better!
    P
    Many

Usually a lot of collectibles are being engraved with desirable units, branches i.e fallschirmjäger, SS etc in order to increase the value.
    The thing is that without solid provenance a serious collector would never proceed in such a purchase. Therefore these altered items are being destroyed and loose their value.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

I think someone has tried to make a 60 dollar bayonet turn into a 600 dollar bayonet by carving some SS runes into the handle, there is a chance it was done period by a bored soldier as stated(although not sure why) but as with most SS items there is only a 1% chance of that. You would have to look at the carving under a microscope, it doesnt look to be freshly done and I am not sure how much the carved area would patina if it was done only 30 years ago compared to 75 years ago, but someone could have easily carved that last week and colored it in to match the handle or used heat to age it, I would think if it was done in the field it would look more crued, alot of unknowing collectors see an SS item and want to believe its real so bad that it blurs there thought process when it comes to authentication, sadly that is how money is lost and made.
    On a positive note the blade looks to be in great shape!

Correct Portguese contract bayonet with SS runes carved in grips by some one I am of the opinion SS would not be in possession of a Portguese contract bayonet unless late war that did not get exported highly unlikely. Some of the knowledge collectors that know contracts will weigh in hopefully. timothy

It's a mismatched German issue scabbard mated to a Portuguese bayonet with supposedly period "SS" markings added to make it more valuable. And it's not the first one like that now in circulation, and most likely not the last with some much more elaborate than this one - but that does not make them legitimate. Fred

Quote by maximus71 View Post
    I think someone has tried to make a 60 dollar bayonet turn into a 600 dollar bayonet by carving some SS runes into the handle, there is a chance it was done period by a bored soldier as stated(although not sure why) but as with most SS items there is only a 1% chance of that. You would have to look at the carving under a microscope, it doesnt look to be freshly done and I am not sure how much the carved area would patina if it was done only 30 years ago compared to 75 years ago, but someone could have easily carved that last week and colored it in to match the handle or used heat to age it, I would think if it was done in the field it would look more crued, alot of unknowing collectors see an SS item and want to believe its real so bad that it blurs there thought process when it comes to authentication, sadly that is how money is lost and made.
    On a positive note the blade looks to be in great shape!
    Thank you for your information!

Quote by timothy View Post
    Correct Portguese contract bayonet with SS runes carved in grips by some one I am of the opinion SS would not be in possession of a Portguese contract bayonet unless late war that did not get exported highly unlikely. Some of the knowledge collectors that know contracts will weigh in hopefully. timothy
    Thank you for the information

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    It's a mismatched German issue scabbard mated to a Portuguese bayonet with supposedly period "SS" markings added to make it more valuable. And it's not the first one like that now in circulation, and most likely not the last with some much more elaborate than this one - but that does not make them legitimate. Fred

Thank you. I def won't sell it. Not if its not real. Ill just keep for myself it looks pretty cool.

?

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    +1

Regards,
    Stu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2