Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Newbie id help on German Bayonets

Article about: Hi Gang, These are 2 K98 German bayonets that my late father in law had. He served in the Scottish Reconnaissance during WW2 as acting captain and gaining the Military Cross in Europe. Would

Default Id Help/Guidance of 2x K98 Bayonets

Hi Gang,
    These are 2 K98 German bayonets that my late father in law had. He served in the Scottish Reconnaissance during WW2 as acting captain and gaining the Military Cross in Europe. Would just like a little background on these if possible, like year of manufacture / foundry etc , or can someone point me in the right direction

Thanks in advance

First one :
    Newbie id help on German BayonetsNewbie id help on German BayonetsNewbie id help on German BayonetsNewbie id help on German BayonetsNewbie id help on German BayonetsNewbie id help on German Bayonets Newbie id help on German Bayonets

Second One :
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Newbie id help on German Bayonets   Newbie id help on German Bayonets  

Newbie id help on German Bayonets   Newbie id help on German Bayonets  

Newbie id help on German Bayonets  
    Last edited by Goldfinger; 02-16-2019 at 11:19 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Newbie id help on German Bayonets
    P
    Many

Nice pair of Bayos..one with bakelite and one with wood grips.

Good to see matching numbers on the one posted.
    More bayonet guys will be along shortly

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hello,
    They're nice bayos, sorry to say but they've been a bit negleted in the past....
    The first one has been made by WKC in 1941. As the frog is 1942 dated, with retaining strap for the handle, it's a general issue for the entire Heer (since 1939). The second one is very early, i can't remember the maker right now, but the i do remember that the G letter means it was produced in 1935. The frog is virtually the same than for the first bayonet, with retaining strap, but as it does have aluminium rivets, it may have been produced before the war and could be a frog meant for mounted troops only.
    Hope it helps....but experts will help you more i guess...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your time and help...………
    Regards
    Simon

Let me say first that any militaria souvenir from a family member, is marvelous to have as it is a tangible connection to a piece of history they were involved in. So you are fortunate to have these bayonets. Condition is not the greatest, perhaps storage in a damp Scottish shed was the reason. As mentioned earlier, the one with the black bakelite hand grips, scabbard is made by the WKC company in 1941. The blade shows signs of being sharpened, (which collectors don't like) and the scabbard quite rusted. It's not clear from the photos if the bayonet is similarly marked. Frog is a nice combat type with maker mark and date.
    The second bayonet with the wood grips is I think of more interest. It was made by the Durkopp Werke company in 1935, and is a matching number example with the scabbard (desirable for collectors). The Durkopp company continued making S.84/98 bayonets until about 1940. They don't seem to have been issued a letter code or made bayonets after that, but focused their efforts on making small calibre anti-aircraft guns, under code "csd". Unlike most "k98" bayonet makers, Durkopp were not based in Solingen.
    With your Durkopp bayonet, there may have been a refurbishment make over done during the Third Reich era, and the blade re-blued. The downside with this bayonet for a collector is it has been heavily sharpened, possibly in recent decades.
    But they are what they are, and with family connections, nice to have.

Again , thank you for this information, greatly appreciated.

?

Question is the first piece is matching and 41cvl too, the WaA253 speaks against this as this is max 1940 period proof, the second one early S/238 G from Durkopp and 1935 is damaged by sharpening of blade. b.r.Andy