Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Newbie requests help identifying German WW1 bayonet

Article about: Hi again all. This weekend I also acquired this German WW1 (as best I can tell) bayonet. There are two numbers that appear to have been burned(?)/impressed(?) into one side of the handle. Th

?

Default Newbie requests help identifying German WW1 bayonet

Hi again all. This weekend I also acquired this German WW1 (as best I can tell) bayonet. There are two numbers that appear to have been burned(?)/impressed(?) into one side of the handle. The numbers are "21" best guess. If you look carefully the "1" appears to have been burned/impressed upside down. Assuming the correct number is "21" would that represent the soldier's infantry regiment? If not what would it represent? I did not see any hallmark on the blade. Thanks.

John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Newbie requests help identifying German WW1 bayonet  
    Attached Images Attached Images Newbie requests help identifying German WW1 bayonet 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Newbie requests help identifying German WW1 bayonet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Newbie requests help identifying German WW1 bayonet

John

Certainly not German - looks Japanese to me.

I will leave the exact identification to someone else as Japanese bayonets are not my area of interest.

Regards

Richie

It is a Japanese type 30(+/33, 38, 40) bayonet, on the other side of the blade will be a marking each identifying a date, as far as authenticity goes I have no clue sorry.

?

I agree. It is definitely Japanese. It was erroneously listed as German. Tnx.

?

I agree it is Japanese probably WWII. The curved flange at the base is consistent with Japanese bayonets. What is puzzling is the use of Arabic numbers instead of using a Japanese character(s) for "21". There are no hallmark stamps on either side of the blade. Thanks.

?

The pure quality of this i believe could be a school bayonet or a chinese copy, which i believe is the more possibility, any markings there?

?

Hi Andy...I finally got a positive id on the bayonet. It is an error variation, i.e. the inverted "1" in "21" of a Japanese WW2 Type 30 training bayonet. The "21" represents the rack storage location number of the bayonet. I guess the Arabic "1" to looked correct either way to whomever impressed it on the handle. Perhaps Arabic numbers were easier to create in a dye compared to equivalent Japanese characters. Tnx for the response.

John