Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Oak leave engraved K98 Bajonet

Article about: Looks great. A world of difference. Well done.

Default Oak leave engraved K98 Bajonet

hello Collector friends,
    Just bought a german K98 Bajonet and like to find out a little about his history. It has 38 stamped on the back of the blade, DURKOPP, 3917g on the Ricasso and 4 WAA 547 stamps on the handel. The WAA on the Parier is different than the other ones. It is cromed and the oak leve engraving is very nice.
    Was this engraving done after the war? And who did it?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Oak leave engraved K98 Bajonet   Oak leave engraved K98 Bajonet  

Oak leave engraved K98 Bajonet   Oak leave engraved K98 Bajonet  

Oak leave engraved K98 Bajonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Oak leave engraved K98 Bajonet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Oak leave engraved K98 Bajonet

Hi BB..welcome to the forum...IMO I would think it was done during the period judging by the background pimpling seen between the oakleaves. Wait for other opinions. Shame there are no grips on this which would increase the value a bit. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I also think that this looks like it has been period engraved. It would have looked excellent with a nice pair of stag grips on it-I wonder if a replacement pair could be located? Is there a sheath?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Dürkopp was a period maker of combat bayonets for the German Army/Wehrmacht, and with a date, serial number and Waffenamt that is where I would put this one. And as originally made it would have been blued with steel pins holding the crossguard in place instead of brass(?) replacements. With the muzzle ring side up instead of facing down. And a matching number scabbard, with Waffenamted to match black Bakelite grips along with a flashguard if my recollection of the date/serial number range for the black grips is correct.

And I’m also thinking that it may just be brightly polished metal instead of plating (which is fairly easy to test). With the engraving not that badly done. But period? Not from what I have seen so far. Regards to all, Fred

I agree with Fred. It looks like someone used the bayonet as a practise piece for engraving in recent times.

Wolfgang

...And stripped off the grips and screws to upgrade
    some other bayonet.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Not quite what I was expecting when I read the title of the thread - it isn't the usual 1970s British rubbish.

However, would a piece of German military issue equipment be modified this way whilst in service ? - I think not.

Anyone got any thoughts on the star marking on the pommel - seen them before but I don't recall an explanation.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Oak leave engraved K98 Bajonet  

?

I do not get a good feeling of this one. Sorry- hope i am wrong but almost all i have seen are post 45 altered.

It is difficult for me to explain what triggers my alarm here- but it could be some silversmith/ knifeingraver has used old bajonets for practice. And this could explain the star- an ingravers mark.

?

Strange mark

Quote by Scout View Post
    Strange mark
    Something is making me think police but I may be completely off track with that.

And here's another similar one
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Oak leave engraved K98 Bajonet  

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast