Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Original frog to the pair?

Article about: Matching K98 bayonet and scabbard. P. WEYERSBERG 1939 serial numbers 4955. No markings on frog also only 2 rivots instead of 4. Is the frog original or am I still shopping to complete the se

Default Original frog to the pair?

Matching K98 bayonet and scabbard. P. WEYERSBERG 1939 serial numbers 4955. No markings on frog also only 2 rivots instead of 4. Is the frog original or am I still shopping to complete the set.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original frog to the pair?   Original frog to the pair?  

Original frog to the pair?   Original frog to the pair?  

Original frog to the pair?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Original frog to the pair?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Original frog to the pair?

Hi, nice bayonet,the frogs construction and shape don`t look German made to me.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original frog to the pair?   Original frog to the pair?  

JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

hi jimmy , i really like you`re early bayonet and scabbard , manufactured before coding was introduced and i particularly like P Weyersberg pieces as zwerge stated the frog isn`t the standard german frog but it does look old !!

cheers al

?

The frog looks like a war or postwar repair, i believe its a german probably repaired in Bulgaria? best regards,Andy

As Andy commented on the frog looks to repaired with what looks like the addition of a new belt loop component. And part of the back piece has some old stitching at the bottom which looks like it may have been taken from salvaged leather. Also, the leather looks to possibly be pigskin(?), which was used on some occasions, but generally on late examples.

For a late 1930's vintage bayonet, for myself. I would probably be looking for an earlier example with aluminum rivets. Best Regards, FP
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original frog to the pair?  

Hello,

this frog may is a late war creation out of used leather parts. End of 1944 / 1945 the supply situation was very worse. Not all units gets frogs out of the actual production and had to improvised. So some made frogs out of used canvas, clothing or leather.

But, because of the scare materials, firms or special depots produce frogs in general out of used leather.

Bayontes were used long time and not together the frogs... so it is not a need the have a frog of the same year. Frogs also were faster worn out.

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    Hello,

this frog may is a late war creation out of used leather parts. End of 1944 / 1945 the supply situation was very worse. Not all units gets frogs out of the actual production and had to improvised. So some made frogs out of used canvas, clothing or leather.

But, because of the scare materials, firms or special depots produce frogs in general out of used leather.
    Wow. There is some Frankenstein creations among those frogs!

yes this is realy not funny... some of this frogs were made in Ghettos... and the sources of the leather nobody knows... captured, required or only used Wehrmacht staff