Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Panzer Abteilung 24 parade bayonet

Article about: Hi. I have been offered this bayonet. Can anyone help with authenticating it please?

Default Panzer Abteilung 24 parade bayonet

Hi. I have been offered this bayonet. Can anyone help with authenticating it please?

Panzer Abteilung 24 parade bayonetPanzer Abteilung 24 parade bayonetPanzer Abteilung 24 parade bayonet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzer Abteilung 24 parade bayonet
    P
    Many

If that is black rust on the side there in the third picture it should be legit though I know nothing of German bayonets I do know that black rust is extremely hard to duplicate though it is possible. (Get another member to authenticate it though because I don't do to much bayonet collecting)

Moved to the K98 Bato forum..for further study and comment. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

It is not black rust. That takes a couple hundred years. It is the natural ageing of polished steel.
    It appears to be privately engraved not acid etched. It would be nice to see the complete bayonet and scabbard if you have it.

?

Agreed,pictures of the whole bayonet and more detailed pictures of the etching would be helpful.

Jim

These are all the pictures I have of the bayonet. I have cropped them best I could so hopefully you can see more? Thank you.

Panzer Abteilung 24 parade bayonetPanzer Abteilung 24 parade bayonetPanzer Abteilung 24 parade bayonetPanzer Abteilung 24 parade bayonetPanzer Abteilung 24 parade bayonetPanzer Abteilung 24 parade bayonetPanzer Abteilung 24 parade bayonetPanzer Abteilung 24 parade bayonet

The man who owns this wants to do a trade with a few medals I am looking to sell. I know nothing about etched bayonets and although I do like the bayonet I do not want to end up with a parade bayonet that has been etched post war.

If anyone can help I would be very thankful.

It appears to be a very aged/worn pitted off duty dress bayonet with almost all of its original finish missing. With these kinds of bayonets oftentimes the perfect choice for some "upgrades" to help sell them. And as was mentioned, the blade unit/name markings do appear to be pantograph (machine) engraved. Which could require some searching, as many that I've seen ultimately turned out to be modern fonts specific to a postwar machine (no decision here at this point). With the pommel which is corroded/cleaned zinc appearing to be hand done - but uncertain as to its originality in its current condition. Which also applies to the blade which very easily could have been further aged after being engraved. With my point here being that artificial aging many times is used to cover up recent work. Which is very hard to determine how recently it was done sometimes with indoor lighting. Is there any chance for some daylight pictures (ie: direct sunlight)? BTW: The scabbard looks like it was almost never used or abused ............. or it has been repainted. Best Regards, Fred

Im curious of why the name "Horst Loos " appears to be right side up..where as " Panzer Abteilung 24 " is upside down on the blade. You would think the engraver would make both engravings consistent. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thank you Fred & Larry for your comments.

Sorry, these are all the pics I have. Big question I suppose is "is it worth £160 he wants for it?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast