Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Parade Bayonet Screws not rivets?

Article about: The black "tar" like stuff is coming from the frog, these frogs were blacked with this stuff, much cheaper than leather. Due to temperature its applied to the handle. I always clea

Default Re: Parade Bayonet Screws not rivets?

There is no german factory that delivers their items in non perfect condition.
    Look at the screws of the e pack grip sticking out of the grips.

Jean

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Parade Bayonet Screws not rivets?
    P
    Many

fair comment jean although id stress that many items delivered were less than perfect especially when the use of slave labour came into effect look how many weapons tanks etc were sabotaged at the factory you may be correct but the information isnt 100 percent sorry not meaning to casue an argument but its a proven fact

Quote by panzerjaeger44 View Post
    fair comment jean although id stress that many items delivered were less than perfect especially when the use of slave labour came into effect look how many weapons tanks etc were sabotaged at the factory you may be correct but the information isnt 100 percent sorry not meaning to casue an argument but its a proven fact
    Parade bayonets or more correctly extra seitengewehr, these were all made by private contractors, non of these used forced labour at any time.
    Forced labourers were used only in the war industry not the fashion industry.
    Every weapon or screw or bolt for the war industry was controlled by the WaffenAmbt before they left the factory, so don't believe those would be heroes who (on their own) sabotaged the whole german war industry.

Jean

Quote by Redgemak View Post
    Let me be the spoil brat here, but personally I think that the ones with screws are (authentic but) )replacement grips.

OK bann me from the forum )

Jean
    Jean,

I have had a quick look through George T Wheerler's Seitengewehr. He states its just a manufacture variation. If they were replaced would they not go through the existing rivit holes in the center of the grip. All the pictured items seem to have the screws lower down off center?

Regards

Jock

?

Hi Jock , your dress bayonet shows all the traits of E Pack manufacture . The use of spanner bolts is typical of Pack on these , as is the off centre positioning of the bolts on the grip .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Al,

I'm not sure of the firm as this is not my bag but I will take your word on that, I think like you it is just a variation nothing to get excited or twichy about!

On an aside the artificial leather stuff has covered the exposed handle area, I would like to remove it, I was thinking meths or petrol any suggestions?

Thanks

Jock

Most times things happen for a reason. And for the 98K, Vz24 etc. service bayonets, the lower mounted screws allowed room for an open channel above them to accommodate a cleaning rod.

Still assembled as two piece bayonets (grip and blade versus one piece). Likewise, with these types of dress bayonets, there is usually an upper channel above the screws. (And as to whether or it’s actually functional is another matter.) It’s also been my experience that the attaching screws are normally installed like the service bayonets (ie: with the bolt part installed from the flush side, and the spanner nuts from the press stud side. FP

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    Most times things happen for a reason. And for the 98K, Vz24 etc. service bayonets, the lower mounted screws allowed room for an open channel above them to accommodate a cleaning rod.

Still assembled as two piece bayonets (grip and blade versus one piece). Likewise, with these types of dress bayonets, there is usually an upper channel above the screws. (And as to whether or it’s actually functional is another matter.) It’s also been my experience that the attaching screws are normally installed like the service bayonets (ie: with the bolt part installed from the flush side, and the spanner nuts from the press stud side. FP
    FP,

Never even cosidered that I will try it now on a rifle!

Thats a no go it is too small and the grip itself looks too short, it doesn't even fit without the cleaning rod.

Jock

Jock,

I've owned a lot of these bayonets, and the early dress baynets, especially form Epack are always with screws, rather than rivets. As mentioned above i believe its a Epack one. The solingen was engraved or stamped by the manufacturor, and sometimes the distributer put on his own marking as advertising. Fitting the bayonet on a K98k, some wont fit while the cleaning rod is in, because the lack the additonal hole.

Kees,

Yes this one does not fit. What would you recomend to get the black stuff from the frog off of the handle?

Jock

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast