Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Parade Bayonet with SS inscription - Genuine or Fake?

Article about: Guys, I've attached some photos of a parade bayonet that has a German inscription linking it to the SS. Would you please have a look at it and let me know if it has a chance of being genuine

Default Parade Bayonet with SS inscription - Genuine or Fake?

Guys, I've attached some photos of a parade bayonet that has a German inscription linking it to the SS. Would you please have a look at it and let me know if it has a chance of being genuine. Photos aren't too good so I'll try and get some more over the weekend.
    Cheers, Chris.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Parade Bayonet with SS inscription - Genuine or Fake?   Parade Bayonet with SS inscription - Genuine or Fake?  

Parade Bayonet with SS inscription - Genuine or Fake?   Parade Bayonet with SS inscription - Genuine or Fake?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Parade Bayonet with SS inscription - Genuine or Fake?
    P
    Many

?

Sadly, faked bayos are legion.
    Personally, I wouldnt trust it.
    Others who know more will no doubt chime in.
    Maybe, some can say more about the occourrence of these, aging, font, style etc.
    The inscription looks very clean and sharp hence most likely not period.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    Otherwise a nice bayo, but sadly defaced by this most likely post WWII inscription made to hike up the price.
    Caveat; I might of course be way off the mark....

"Gewidmet von Deinem Vater" means "Dedicated by your father"...I agree with Scout that this is a postwar addition, yet cautiously speculate this may well have been done by/for the father of a man who perhaps fell in 1941...Again, pure speculation on my part!
    Bayonet is original with nice grips!
    cheers, Glenn

?

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    "Gewidmet von Deinem Vater" means "Dedicated by your father"...I agree with Scout that this is a postwar addition, yet cautiously speculate this may well have been done by/for the father of a man who perhaps fell in 1941...Again, pure speculation on my part!
    cheers, Glenn
    Good point.

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    cheers, Glenn
    Good info.

?

Although the font and Gothic script are reasonably well done, with straight alignment, equal spacing etc, there are so many fakes around its hard to say, but the age does'nt look right in the etching, its very grainy, one way would be to research the name in SS records or KIA reports for that date , if they exist

As usual an in hand examination would be the best judge of authenticity...there is a diffrence between laser etch and acid etch..which a discerning eye would be able to reveal up close..under a jewelers loop.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    As usual an in hand examination would be the best judge of authenticity...there is a diffrence between laser etch and acid etch..which a discerning eye would be able to reveal up close..under a jewelers loop.
    I absolutely agree that "in hand" is best . But sometimes high resolution photography (which can save a lot of unnecessary travel) works well enough so that you don't have to waste time and resources. With the lettering/symbols on the dress bayonet here having a "shaded" look which is not typical of period etching.

Which is where some really good closeups might be able to help to determine what kind of technology was used to create the inscription(s). With the third image posted here a part of some images that shed some light on a disputed (allegedly period) "acid etched" blade that was well accepted by some collectors. And to those who have some knowledge of manufacturing techniques, they may recognize the work of a "Dremel" © like tool that was used freehand to create the characters with especially the overruns at the top and other places. And if some more pictures of the bayonet here are forthcoming, I would hope that they are reasonably good closeups. Because those 'at a distance' pictures in books, and many of the images on the Internet, concealed more than they revealed. Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Parade Bayonet with SS inscription - Genuine or Fake?   Parade Bayonet with SS inscription - Genuine or Fake?  

Parade Bayonet with SS inscription - Genuine or Fake?  

Guys, thank you very much for your thoughts and advice. I will post close-ups when available. Chris.

Close-up photos attached. Not the best quality but an indication of how the text was applied. It looks from the photos to have been engraved and not etched.

Does anyone have any experience of this style of font and the way it has been applied?

Chris.

A little research into .."Udo Dohm" would shed some light..on the bayonet..if available....on a Dienstaltersliste...or possibly an infantry soldier or made up name.
    comparing the 2 letters "H"...they almost appear the same...but the name and "Kriegsjahr" appear 2 different font types. This could of been done professionally by a jeweler recently.....or.....Hmmm or during the period? Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast