Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Polish K98 Bayonet for discussion

Article about: It has been brought to my attention and currently for sale in the classifieds section that this bayonet would may be lacking necessary details only the eyes of the Bayonet gent could answer.

Current price : €520.00
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Polish K98 Bayonet for discussion
    P
    Many

Refurbished vs OEM might need an in-hand look I think the scabbard possibly complicating an accurate assessment. Poland presenting an interesting situation because in partitioning Poland Fabryka Broni (Radom) which was intact and operating in September of 1939 - was going to possibly be in the zone that was to be occupied by the Russians. So they started to move it to another location. The matter resolved in favor of Germany, logistics and other issues caused a significant delay in getting it back into operation. The blades a part of a one piece drop forging the pommel Waffenamts were normally the only ones that are seen. That said, Hörster in 1943/44 did manufacture some service bayonets that also have Waffenamts on finished blades (not the spines) close to the crossguards. Best Regards, Fred

Hallo,

this is a german Seitengewehr 139/2 (p). There never was a "Bayonet 98k" under this name...

These bayonets were made in Radom factory under German occupation 1940/41 from still existing parts.
    For this reason, it also has a WaA acceptance.
    Only Bayonets from new production under German control were accepted accordingly (comparable to the side rifle 24 (t)).

Captured bayonets were already tested and accepted by the first "owners".

These pieces have white differences to the original "Wz.39". On the one hand, the muzzlering was immediately removed and, on the other hand, the surface was highly polished and burnished in a light plum color. The "Wz.39" of this manufacturer was originally phosphated.

This piece is an original S139/2 (p) from Radom production under German control with WaA 77 on scabbard and blade spine.

But I think the scabbard no longer has the original finish. Here is a piece from my collection. Sheath and bayonet have the original finish in the light plum color.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish K98 Bayonet for discussion   Polish K98 Bayonet for discussion  

Polish K98 Bayonet for discussion   Polish K98 Bayonet for discussion  

In addition, there was a series of ex "Bagnet Wz.39" / Seitengewehr 139/1(p) without a muzzlering and without a Polish or German acceptance. There also was no Polish weapon number attached. These pieces are from a German first production run with existing parts or complet Bayonets in Stock. Probably before a team of the weapons office has begun its work in Radom. These Bayonets are very rare.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish K98 Bayonet for discussion   Polish K98 Bayonet for discussion  

And here for comparison a finished Wz.39, which has Polish acceptance stamp and a weapon number. This was captured and redone according to the German guidelines.

And here a captured "Wz.39" that has kept its muzzlering.

My compliments for some nice examples I will have to take a good look at an early example of a P. 35(p) aka RADOM/VIS that I have. My immediate recollection being that it has an OEM high polish bluing (Brünierung) similar to some German service bayonets that of course diminished as time progressed. Best Regards, Fred

Hi.

yes in Radom also the P35 (p) were further manufactured and accepted with E77.

In addition, the rifle 29/40 (previously Wz.29) was manufactured and accepted with WaA77.

Very useful contribution to the thread sleepwalker. Thank you.

?

Offcoarse SW has great collection of polish bayonets, the designation of Wz.39 is more a collector name, its normal Wz.29 bayonet, made in 1939, sometimes called as II variation. From my sources that i have of polish information sites the prewar finish should be nitridation, used mainly now in end of 90ies. Its not typical phosphate or blueing like mentioned.
    Fred the Radom area was in middle or more west part of Polish republik in prewar time, so it were prepared by treaty of Ribbentrop and Molotov, that this part would be german when i correctly remember. b.r.Andy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast