Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a Portuguese contract bayonet?

Article about: I've had this for years and always thought it was a WW2 German bayonet,but did a bit of digging recently and am pretty sure it's a Portuguese contract bayonet. I bought it as ex Israeli and

Default Is this a Portuguese contract bayonet?

I've had this for years and always thought it was a WW2 German bayonet,but did a bit of digging recently and am pretty sure it's a Portuguese contract bayonet.
    I bought it as ex Israeli and the scabbard and pommel both have WA253 inspection marks so I assume they belong together.
    Any info would be great.Thanks in advance.Is this a Portuguese contract bayonet?Is this a Portuguese contract bayonet?Is this a Portuguese contract bayonet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this a Portuguese contract bayonet?
    P
    Many

?

You are correct, this is one of the 1937 Portuguese contract 84/98 bayonets.

Jim

I think (dont quote me) it is an original that was used post war in another country, maybe re worked.

Thanks,I wasn't 100% sure.
    Is there any way to tell if this one was appropriated by the Germans for their own use before it ended up in Israel post war?

check this out, i had one well nearly, i did not buy it, dont think it had the waf marks though.
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/k98-b...st-war-367270/

?

Quote by Handscharboi View Post
    Thanks,I wasn't 100% sure.
    Is there any way to tell if this one was appropriated by the Germans for their own use before it ended up in Israel post war?
    I don't know about the Israel connection. Most 84/98's used by the Israeli military had some form of modification, usually an added muzzle ring or at the very least some Israeli markings. As far as being used by the Germans, I think it would be more likely on the later 1939-41 contract. I don't think they received any additional markings, as they were ready to go as is. I don't remember any way to know for sure.

Jim

Quote by Jim P View Post
    You are correct, this is one of the 1937 Portuguese contract 84/98 bayonets.

Jim
    Jim, you´re correct !

It´s an M937 "Portugal contract" bayonet.

R.

Quote by Reibert View Post
    Jim, you´re correct !

It´s an M937 "Portugal contract" bayonet.

R.
    Best Regards to All, Fred

Thanks Greatwhite,that link answered my questions.
    All I know about it being ex-Israeli is that's how it was described where I bought it.
    But I do know that around the late 80's,early 90's (before they took our guns off us) a lot of Mauser's were imported into Australia both from Israel and Portugal so it was probably just mislabeled.