Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A possible Police issued bayonet? Opinions please!

Article about: Hello, Julekpl again. First I'd like to wish everyone a safe and wonderful new year! Annoyed from this ads?   Anyways, I was hoping to hear some of your opinions on this bayonet. It's m

Default A possible Police issued bayonet? Opinions please!

Hello, Julekpl again. First I'd like to wish everyone a safe and wonderful new year!
    Anyways, I was hoping to hear some of your opinions on this bayonet. It's made by Paul Weyersberg & Co Solingen, number 375. The scabbard has no markings on it what so ever, and has not been pulled out of the frog. The Frog is stamped "Gustav Reinhardt Berlin 1942"

What made me think that this is a Police issue bayonet was because I have seen the maker name only on police issued bayonets, but I'm guessing this is a less common variant...
    Also there seems to be an eagle stamp with the letter "B" (Berlin?) under it's left wing, but I could be wrong of course, I'm no expert. Also what I found odd, usually these eagle stamped bayonets are stamped on the spine, and not on the Ricasso...is that out of the ordinary?

Thank you!

A possible Police issued bayonet? Opinions please! A possible Police issued bayonet? Opinions please! A possible Police issued bayonet? Opinions please! A possible Police issued bayonet? Opinions please! A possible Police issued bayonet? Opinions please! A possible Police issued bayonet? Opinions please!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A possible Police issued bayonet? Opinions please!
    P
    Many

The eagle and the "B" looking bit, I believe is simply the waffenamt stamping for Paul Weyersberg-who was a maker of bayonets. He has 3 different waffenamt markings, WaA253, WaA519, WaA883. As it's lightly stamped and missing most of the rest, it's difficult to figure which one it could be. It looks to be a regular 98K bayonet, as far as I can tell. The location of the stamp is not too unusual.
    Last edited by Wagriff; 01-01-2015 at 09:48 AM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Moved to the K98 forum
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Interesting bayonet. It is the type of bayonet that the police would purchase and being a P. Weyersberg, is correct in having the serial number on the ricasso, But this is the 1st time I have ever seen one with the police property/inspection mark also on the ricasso. Normally this stamp would be on the muzzle ring or spine of the blade. It is definitely an Eagle B stamp not a WaA, but is it correct?

Jim

Quote by Jim P View Post
    Interesting bayonet. It is the type of bayonet that the police would purchase and being a P. Weyersberg, is correct in having the serial number on the ricasso, But this is the 1st time I have ever seen one with the police property/inspection mark also on the ricasso. Normally this stamp would be on the muzzle ring or spine of the blade. It is definitely an Eagle B stamp not a WaA, but is it correct?

Jim
    Totally agree all I have had are in the spine or muzzle ring groove that is also where Wheeler states to look. I admit have never seen it placed there but never say never. timothy

Hello,

this is a police bayonet...

The maker Paul Weyersberg produced under this hallmark and serial number S 84/98 for the police, Zoll (RFV) and the Postschutz.

The place of the police-eagle "B" had 2 variations... on the blade (like on the Julekpl) or on the muzzle support of the guard.

Regards

- - ------- - -

The frog is a fake...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A possible Police issued bayonet? Opinions please!   A possible Police issued bayonet? Opinions please!  

A possible Police issued bayonet? Opinions please!  

?

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    Hello,

this is a police bayonet...

The maker Paul Weyersberg produced under this hallmark and serial number S 84/98 for the police, Zoll (RFV) and the Postschutz.

The place of the police-eagle "B" had 2 variations... on the blade (like on the Julekpl) or on the muzzle support of the guard.

Regards

- - ------- - -

The frog is a fake...
    This is the 1st I had seen one on the ricasso, good to know that it happened. It has been my experience that the stamp show's up fairly regularly on the spine of the blade as well.

Jim

From my own perspective, before making more definitive statements I would like some more pictures in daylight of both the fronts and rear of the frog, bayonet, and scabbard. With my own experience with the black plastic gripped German Police marked bayonets from Paul Weyersberg being that the Paul Weyersberg muzzle ring marked examples (from the serial number ranges) are later. Whereas some earlier military style marked (P. Weyersberg - scabbards dated) are Police marked on the back spine of the blade, with no German Army Waffenamts to be found on either the bayonets or scabbards. Best Regards, Fred

?

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    From my own perspective, before making more definitive statements I would like some more pictures in daylight of both the fronts and rear of the frog, bayonet, and scabbard. With my own experience with the black plastic gripped German Police marked bayonets from Paul Weyersberg being that the Paul Weyersberg muzzle ring marked examples (from the serial number ranges) are later. Whereas some earlier military style marked (P. Weyersberg - scabbards dated) are Police marked on the back spine of the blade, with no German Army Waffenamts to be found on either the bayonets or scabbards. Best Regards, Fred
    Hi Fred, How often have you seen them stamped on the ricasso like this one?

Jim

Quote by Jim P View Post
    Hi Fred, How often have you seen them stamped on the ricasso like this one?

Jim
    Jim, The short answer is none that come to mind at the moment. The longer answer: I have seen legitimate Waffenamt markings on military issue bayonet ricassos (not common), Waffenamted presumably captured OEM guns (IMO postwar marked), and some supposed "SS" swords with both German Police markings and Waffenamts (IMO bogus markings). That said, Weyersberg is something of a 'wild card' when it comes to the different ways it marked some of its bayonets. With the underlined maker codes in 1940, and the "Tr" series in 1941 two military examples that I remember just offhand - which is why "in hand" I would be looking very closely at everything to see where this might fit in or not, using serial numbers, types of finish etc. as a guide. Best Regards, Fred

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast