Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Rare matching SGX Grey Ghost Bayonet

Article about: Hi. A friend has asked me about this bayonet, but I still know little to nothing about them. The seller has described it as above, stating that it is an extremely rare and sought after bayon

Default Rare matching SGX Grey Ghost Bayonet

Hi. A friend has asked me about this bayonet, but I still know little to nothing about them. The seller has described it as above, stating that it is an extremely rare and sought after bayonet. How true is this? The asking price is $675 and this seems to be awfully high. Please tell me if this is the correct info regarding this item. Thank you.
    Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rare matching SGX Grey Ghost Bayonet   Rare matching SGX Grey Ghost Bayonet  

Rare matching SGX Grey Ghost Bayonet   Rare matching SGX Grey Ghost Bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rare matching SGX Grey Ghost Bayonet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Rare matching SGX Grey Ghost Bayonet

Hi. this is cheap as chips, it looks in very good condition, I sold one about 5 months ago for £455.99 and that was a good price, very few were made and even less exist, good luck Andy

?

In reality the grey ghost was named by John C.Jacobi the phosphated 44asw production, this is a normal sgx production, unfortunally little overpriced now.best regards,Andy

What's a 'grey ghost' bayonet?

Hi OB!..as posted in Post#3 the "Grey Ghost" bayonet is the end result of Phosphated fittings,, giving it that grey look. I am not sure of the manufacturing reasons why,, but these are rare to find none the less. Any other information is welcome as I will add this in the already pinned K98 Registry thread, until a future K98 sub-forum can be created.
    Below are a few more pics of this type of Bayonet
    Attached Images Attached Images Rare matching SGX Grey Ghost Bayonet  Rare matching SGX Grey Ghost Bayonet  Rare matching SGX Grey Ghost Bayonet  Rare matching SGX Grey Ghost Bayonet 
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

It's a more involved topic, and while I'm tempted to take the discussion a little further, in the U.S. and elsewhere the phosphate type finishes had been used for years as a cheaper, faster way to finish iron/steel as a way to inhibit the formation of rust. But the Germans kept to their traditional processes, migrating from an older more costly 'rust blueing' process to a 'hot dip' (black oxide) that was still being used until the end. But not 100% across the board, with large scale makers like Mauser-Werke ("byf") and Hörster ("asw/sgx") leading the way with the conversion to the phosphate type finish. And Mauser-Werke itself at the end planning to move its factory (which never took place) with both processes. Fred

SGX44 is one I'd love to add to my cutlery collection - most matching 44 dated bayos are up in price

?

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    It's a more involved topic, and while I'm tempted to take the discussion a little further, in the U.S. and elsewhere the phosphate type finishes had been used for years as a cheaper, faster way to finish iron/steel as a way to inhibit the formation of rust. But the Germans kept to their traditional processes, migrating from an older more costly 'rust blueing' process to a 'hot dip' (black oxide) that was still being used until the end. But not 100% across the board, with large scale makers like Mauser-Werke ("byf") and Hörster ("asw/sgx") leading the way with the conversion to the phosphate type finish. And Mauser-Werke itself at the end planning to move its factory (which never took place) with both processes. Fred
    Good info - thanks (runs off to check own bunch of bayonets - just kidding; My bayos are all blued).

A rare animal! I haven't come across a matching phosphated 44 bayo in I don't know How long. As for the price, I'd be tempted to pick this one up myself! It looks great!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."