Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Relic condition K98 bayonet

Article about: Picked this up recently, a relic condition K98 bayonet with wooden grips. On the spine of the blade there is what looks to be where there once was a sawback but it's since been removed. It l

Default Relic condition K98 bayonet

Picked this up recently, a relic condition K98 bayonet with wooden grips. On the spine of the blade there is what looks to be where there once was a sawback but it's since been removed. It looks like it has been factory done as the grinding is all level and the finish is consistent with the rest of the bayonet. From what I can see, the maker is Gebr Heller.

Please have a look and tell me what you think regarding the sawback and maker.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic condition K98 bayonet
    P
    Many

I haven't got an example to compare it to, but here is a link to a similar one in slightly fitter state.

A German MI884/98 sawback bayonet by Gebruder Heller of Marienthal and marked Erfurt, with scabba

Yes, looks like Heller and sawback removed. The grip screws are without the crosshead screwdriver slot, this type was used pre-1918, so likely to be from 1915 era manufactured when the flashguard was introduced. In 1917 the sawback would have been ground off. Interesting relic.

This is a S84/98 S.abg. (Säge abgeschliffen = Saw abraded). This Modifikation were done since January 1918. So this Bayonet perhaps was used after the end of WW1 in the Reichswehr oder later the Wehrmacht.
    The metal looks as if the bayonet was lying in the water or mud.

You could be right about use by the Reichwehr post war Sleepwalker as the blade does seem to show patches of dark blued steel. The Reichwehr blued the bayonets they inherited post WW1. If a faint "1920" marks is visible on the crossbar, that would settle it.

Thanks everyone for your information. I was under the impression the Germans only used the butcher blade during ww1. I thought this was a ww2 bayonet, however i'm even happier knowing it's from ww1, especially being a sawback removed one! Definitely been in the mud or water, there's some very hard dirt and a few small stones in the slot that attaches to the rifle. Going to have to do some reading on these bayonets in ww1. Thank you!

?

It could be used postwar, anyway from this condition says it was blued or not is very hard. b.r.Andy
    No visible stamps on guard.