Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

S 84/98 (third type) bayonet with Seitengewehrtasche : where have you been all my life...

Article about: Hello Gentlemen and fellow collectors, Today i do have something special for you, a true gem if i'm asked...no rare riveted example, no grey ghost, just a standard late war Seitengewehr (194

Default S 84/98 (third type) bayonet with Seitengewehrtasche : where have you been all my life...

Hello Gentlemen and fellow collectors,
    Today i do have something special for you, a true gem if i'm asked...no rare riveted example, no grey ghost, just a standard late war Seitengewehr (1944 dated) with its lovely 1938 dated leather frog...both items are together since the end of the war in Europe and do have a particularity. The set was brought back to the US of A by a GI. This anonymous soldier did have the very good idea to put the set in a dry place (but not too dry) and it remained exactly how it was in 1945. A good friend of mine bought it and got it back to old Europa. I did wait many years before being able to purchase it from my friend, but it's now done...

As it was in 1945, that's how i like an item...and this set fulfill all my desire and need as far as bayonets are involved.
    Terribly war-scarred and still serviceable for one of my Kameraden...

The 1938 dated frog for mounted troops have had a first life before meeting this charming almost new Seitengewehr. It must have been a hard life as it was reconditioned sometime during the war and the front part that retains the scabbard has been replaced with a piece of recycled leather. Both upper rivet are still in aluminium, while the lower ones are made of iron. Stitchings at the back tell the all story...

And about the Seitengewehr itself.....simply magical....not even a spot of rust around the impact, like it had been done yesterday. The Shrapnel impacted the scabbard very badly and the bayonet goes in and out normally....a miracle...
    This impacted and reconditioned set looks great. As i already said, there are items i live for...this set is one of them...
    you can click on the photos
    Thanks for reading
    Thanks

S 84/98 (third type) bayonet with Seitengewehrtasche : where have you been all my life...
    Last edited by JPhilip; 02-09-2019 at 12:54 PM.

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement S 84/98 (third type) bayonet with Seitengewehrtasche : where have you been all my life...
    P
    Many

Matching numbers

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :

Year of production and Maker

In Memoriam :

Single Waffenamt

In Memoriam :

production date and maker

In Memoriam :

Alu rivet above, iron ones below and different stitchings for the replaced part

In Memoriam :

Piece of recycled leather with holes from previous stitchings

In Memoriam :

and full view from above...

In Memoriam :

Different views of the impact, with the bayonet in and out....

S 84/98 (third type) bayonet with Seitengewehrtasche : where have you been all my life...S 84/98 (third type) bayonet with Seitengewehrtasche : where have you been all my life...S 84/98 (third type) bayonet with Seitengewehrtasche : where have you been all my life...S 84/98 (third type) bayonet with Seitengewehrtasche : where have you been all my life...

In Memoriam :

The Seitengewehr is unsharpened and retains a lot of its original blueing, like the scabbard...
    I love these toolmarks on late war examples...
    Thanks

In Memoriam :

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast