Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Scabbard I.D

Article about: Hello Guys ,I have a bayonet scabbard that i think belongs to a dress bayonet of some kind but has a S code stamped on it S238G(durkopp) and 6050 on the other.It is a touch to small for a 3r

?

Default Scabbard I.D

Hello Guys ,I have a bayonet scabbard that i think belongs to a dress bayonet of some kind but has a S code stamped on it S238G(durkopp) and 6050 on the other.It is a touch to small for a 3rd pattern 84/98 to slide fully in ,has you can see from the pics the screw is on the side not above the frog stud as usual on dress scabbards.I think the stampings have been added by whoever at a later date what do you think,paul,
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Scabbard I.D   Scabbard I.D  

Scabbard I.D   Scabbard I.D  

Scabbard I.D  
    Attached Images Attached Images Scabbard I.D  Scabbard I.D 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Scabbard I.D
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Scabbard I.D

It looks like a standard combat scabbard ,take out the screw and remove the springs,there is probably something stuck down inside......Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

As stated above by Pete, it looks to me like like an original military contract scabbard that was converted to a dress bayonet scabbard (not period IMO). With a new mouthpiece (added, it could be recycled from something else) with a rectangular inner opening in the manner of a dress bayonet. And a new round headed screw. Fred
    Last edited by Frogprince; 03-18-2013 at 09:54 PM.

?

It is the shape of the throat and screw that makes me wonder ,just does,nt seem right to me ,Thanks Paul.

Paul, Over the years I may have seen a comparable example or two of the same kind of conversion. With on the plus side, it not looking like the work was done yesterday. But I also don't think that it was in 1935 either, which is when the scabbard was dated. Not perfect, but reasonably well done. The non-fillister head type screw also suggests to me that because of some missing parts that it may have made it a good candidate for a conversion by a previous owner? Regards, Fred

Any Idea of a maker identity?
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Larry, A scarcer maker who was outside the Solingen based cluster of makers, it's Dürkoppwerke AG (S-code: "S/238 or S. 238") who went completely out of the bayonet business. And I believe then focused its efforts on making smaller caliber antiaircraft guns using the maker's letter code (Fertigungskennzeichen) "csd". Best Regards, Fred

?

Thanks for the info Fred ,Pete .It was the fact of the code stamp on the scabbard of a dress bayonet that threw me having never seen one like it before.It came on a 2nd pat 84/98 sawback ,i knew the scabbard was not original to the bayonet when purchased , thinking someone at sometime had placed it in a 3rd pat scabbard has happens then i saw the throat and thought Mmmmm looks funny so posted it here,Thanks again much appreicated .Paul