Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

seeking info on german bayonet .

Article about: Hi all. sorry i forgot to check if there was a, introduce yourself thread. my name is Austin and i live in the U.K. Some years ago i worked for a furnture reclemation company and i was given

?

Default seeking info on german bayonet .

Hi all.

sorry i forgot to check if there was a, introduce yourself thread. my name is Austin and i live in the U.K.
    Some years ago i worked for a furnture reclemation company and i was given a Bayonet by a customer, he was clearing his parents house and we had gone to collect a sofa and other items. anyway, long story short, one of my hobbies is military history, mainly ww2, so i recognised it as german, and most probably ww2 era. I think it is combat issue, and not dress kit.
    I have taken a few photos as i hope sombody could give me a little more info, and possably an idea of its worth, as i may have to sell it due to my iminant wedding.

Also in the album are two photos of an iron cross, passed on by my farther. i believe it may be first world war.

If anybody can shed any light ont these items i would be very thankful.

Cheers Austin.

bayonet pictures by ozz40 - Photobucket

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement seeking info on german bayonet .
    P
    Many

Default Re: seeking info on german bayonet .

Austin

The bayonet is a S84-98 - the standard combat issue bayonet for German forces in WW2. Fitted the Mauser K98k rifle.

I will let someone else comment on the value as I am a bit out of touch.

I can say it will be worth more if the serial number/makers details/date on the scabbard match those on the bayonet.

Hope that helps a little

Regards

Richie

... and welcome to the Forum and good luck with the wedding

?

Thanks for the info, Richie. i am unsure if they are matched, but i bet that is a rare find.
    Anyway, if it pays some way towards my suit i will be happy. not something i collect these days, not got the room.... its filled with books and scale models.

Q. should i post the iron cross in another thread?.

I'd say $100/150, something around there. Looks pretty tidy

Post the EK in the third reich awards and medals section. Nick, username 'Stickgrenade' is your boy for that, he knows his EK's .

?

thanks for the help both of you, just one more question, can you recomend a place to sell this?
    will post other photos now.

Cheers .

Hello Austin . One small piece of additional information is that the frog is Luftwaffe marked [L.B.A.(S)]. Also that it may have been dyed black at some point (?) as in 1937 it should be a brown (or possibly natural) color. FP

?

I have it here and the frog is brown, may just look black in photo.

Just checked and its much darker in the pic. in the flesh its a redish brown with faded areas.

?

A little more info, the code on the blade is 8706, and the scabbard code is sadly different. the first number is very worn and unreadable, the next three seem to be 505. on the rear of the scabbard it is stamped E.u.F HORSTER 1940 Oh well still a nice bayonet.

Nice bayonet and frog. With the frog, Luftwaffe marked, even unmatched should fetch $150.00.