Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS Etched Blade Bayonet for discussion

Article about: With permission from a member from another forum ..I would like to further discuss this typical K98 bayo that has what we commonly see as a presentation etch. No brainer right ? Look closely

Default SS Etched Blade Bayonet for discussion

With permission from a member from another forum ..I would like to further discuss this typical K98 bayo that has what we commonly see as a presentation etch. No brainer right ?

Look closely that the etch has details of acid etching.

The question is is this a lasered fake?
    We have studied that the acid etch process used overlays to apply the etch process and on top of flat surfaces or slightly rounded.

I am also seeing other issues with the bayo alone.

Your thoughts Gents ? This is your arena of domination
    Regards Larry

SS Etched Blade Bayonet for discussionSS Etched Blade Bayonet for discussionSS Etched Blade Bayonet for discussionSS Etched Blade Bayonet for discussionSS Etched Blade Bayonet for discussionSS Etched Blade Bayonet for discussionSS Etched Blade Bayonet for discussionSS Etched Blade Bayonet for discussion
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Etched Blade Bayonet for discussion
    P
    Many

All bad Larry. A post war concoction. Here's the problems; It appears to be a E & F Horster from 1937-40 ( a photo of spine should give the date). One grip plate is red bakelite which is too late for this bayonet. The bayonet appears to have recent chrome plating, without usual wear sign, even worse it has a post war East German waffle flash guard (well after the SS!) and the scabbard dates from World War one or early Weimar era. Do we need to talk about the etching? All junk, possibly Czech created.

Its why I brought it here as this K98 bayo forum is the last stop.

Thankyou Anderson. I saw some issues with the bayo itself..but not keen enough by my eyes.
    The acid etch process is getting better..but the fakers missed a detail
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quite possibly the bayonet was refurbished by East Germany after the war, but the etching was done long afterwards, and bakelite grip plates retro fitted, and probably the scabbard was swapped for an older one to give a bit of patina look. That waffle flashguard was a major fail in their deception.

?

This is typical 70ies UK etch by Bayoking saled, the scabbard is not proper for this bayonet, mostly a S84/98nA scabbard. when waffled fg so its from GDR refurbishment. Handle was probably polished with high gloss.b.r.Andy