Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Trying to ID bayonet and possible trench knife and one other item

Article about: Hello, first post here, my name is Tony. If this is in the wrong section I apologize and please move it. I have a German bayonet which I think is a M1884/98 third pattern ( I was visiting a

Default Trying to ID bayonet and possible trench knife and one other item

Hello, first post here, my name is Tony. If this is in the wrong section I apologize and please move it.

I have a German bayonet which I think is a M1884/98 third pattern ( I was visiting a bayonet site earlier), anyway this bayonet has markings of manufacturers on both sides, does that mean it was re-issued? The metal sheath has no markings at all that I can see, and the leather frog also has no visible markings, plus all the frogs I have seen today doing research have rivets and the one I have does not, nor does it appear that it ever did.

I also have another knife that has a bayonet style sheath but the knife has no provisions to be mounted to a rifle, it does have a large blood groove.

The third piece that no one seems to be able to identify is made of brass or bronze and has a hollow end ( the wider end), aprox, 3/4" diameter 1" deep, no idea what it is, flag pole topper? swagger stick?? Possibly some one on here might know.

Pics of all below, Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Trying to ID bayonet and possible trench knife and one other item
    P
    Many

Default Re: Trying to ID bayonet and possible trench knife and one other item

More pics:

bayonet is 10" blade, 15.25 overall

The trench knife??, no marks at all on knife or sheath, 13 " long:

the brass/bronze "thing" about 17.25" long:

Appreciate any info you may provide, thanks again !!

?

Hi,the bayonet is a second pattern WW1 model dated 1917 on the spine.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Thanks, so the "17" signifies the year?

?

Yes,and the initial W above it is for the Kaiser Wilhelm.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

The sheath knife is a re-worked sword or bayonet tip - the handle
    and crossguard are handmade. The modified scabbard is from
    some other knife or bayo.

#3 is a handmade brass knife-like piece turned on a lathe.
    In recent years, similar weapons are known as a 'dart'.
    Regards,

Steve.

?

The sheath knife scabbard appears to be from a S 98/05 aA bayonet,I think the other scabbard and frog is for a dress bayonet?
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    The sheath knife is a re-worked sword or bayonet tip - the handle
    and crossguard are handmade. The modified scabbard is from
    some other knife or bayo.

#3 is a handmade brass knife-like piece turned on a lathe.
    In recent years, similar weapons are known as a 'dart'.
    I guess if the sheath knife was made from another blade that would explain why there are no markings on it.

So what does it mean on the bayonet when it has a manufacturer's name ( if that is what they both are) on each side of the blade?

Thanks

'Rich. A. Herder' is the actual manufacturer.........
    Regards,

Steve.