Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Trying to understand codes on a mismatched Herder Bayonet

Article about: Some time ago I purchased a K98 bayonet. It was sort of a casual purchase, I didn't do research and just looked for something inexpensive.It has a mismatched scabbard and is marked as follow

Question Trying to understand codes on a mismatched Herder Bayonet

Some time ago I purchased a K98 bayonet. It was sort of a casual purchase, I didn't do research and just looked for something inexpensive.It has a mismatched scabbard and is marked as follows:
    At the top of the pommel with the blade to the right above the little piece of metal that slides out when you press the button it looks to say "WIA 243 *rubbed off* A243". It appears to be a code repeated twice, in impossibly small letters. So small they could be put on a pin head.

It could be "MIA 243" but I'm not sure. On the sliding piece of metal opposite the button we have an "88" and a mark I cannot distinguish. It's not a complete or good stamp.

The hilt/crossguard is 9764.

The blade is 2288 on one side, 39 on the spine and "Rich.A.Herder" opposite side. I am given to understand that 39 is the year of manufacture and Herder is the manufacturer.
    It looks as though there was a mis-stamp under the 2288. It appears to have been hit with the 8 at an awkward angle and now only the centre remains, hard to say.

On the side of his mismatched scabbard is S/240 G, opposite side 5180.

The frog hanger on the side is what I find the most confusing. Theres a crisp "3848" stamped over another number. The number which has been stamped over appears to be "0042" or "0044" the last two numbers being mostly in dispute, but the double-zero being fairly clear.

Any thoughts? I will provide pictures if I can find a camera on hand.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Trying to understand codes on a mismatched Herder Bayonet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Trying to understand codes on a mismatched Herder Bayonet

This is WaA 243 = WaffenAmt Inspector group 243

what you describe is a Yugoslavian or DDR rework after WWII

Regards

That's pretty cool! Is there more information available on bayonets of this type?

Pic were better, but IMO this is a Seitengewehr 84/98. Used in german untis until 1945. After 1945 reworked in Yugoslawia, Norway, DDR, Isreal and used there. The rework in Yugoslawia and DDR was for own service and for export in other contries in the eatern block or arabian states.

Regards