Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unclear on markings on bayonet

Article about: Dear WR-members, Recently I have received a bayonet from my grandmother (which belonged to my grandfather) who was born in 1919. I have tried to do some research and based on the shape and m

Default Unclear on markings on bayonet

Dear WR-members,

Recently I have received a bayonet from my grandmother (which belonged to my grandfather) who was born in 1919. I have tried to do some research and based on the shape and markings I suspect this is a WKC M98 bayonet. I have looked up a chart on markings, but I can't seem to make any sense out of it. Both the bayo and the scabbard are marked "544", but I can't seem to make out what these markings mean exactly. I was hoping somebody could give me some more info on this! I'll attach some pics.

Kind regards,

Dylan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unclear on markings on bayonet   Unclear on markings on bayonet  

Unclear on markings on bayonet   Unclear on markings on bayonet  

Unclear on markings on bayonet   Unclear on markings on bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unclear on markings on bayonet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Unclear on markings on bayonet

544 should be the serial number, which means they are matching, which is always a plus. Looks like a nice bayonet. Try taking some close ups of the grip portion. Outside in natural light with no flash is better. Welcome to the forum!

WKC Stahl- und Metallwarenfabrik, ("WKC Steel and Metalwork Factory") formerly Weyersberg, Kirschbaum & Cie., is a sword manufacturing company located in Solingen, Germany. This is the maker of your bayonet. Hope this helps!

@Helmetone: Thanks, I'll take some pic's tomorrow, it's already dark out I found a list on the net with markings and meanings (specifically regarding the 544) but I could make sense out of it, and I just tried to find it again and I can't seem to locate it lol.

@youthcollector1: Thanks, thats a nice start! Do you happen to know any place I could check out in regards to timeframe (making and usage?)

I assume your grandfather was in WWII due to his birthday. This would lead me to believe this was made during the 30's or 40's. The company also changed names after wwi which helps date it I believe. As for the usage it was attached to a Karabiner 98k rifle.

Add: here some more info. hope it helps.

In the year 1922, WKC was bought by the company "Siegen Solinger Gussstahlverein" who was a previous supplier of theirs. The company continued to flourish until the Great Depression. During this time like most companies in Germany, WKC suffered greatly and worsened as during World War II, the company was a target of Allied bombardment. These bombings resulted in almost all of the buildings and equipment owned by the company at the time being destroyed and so all operations there ceased.

?

What year is marked on the spine (just forward of the grip).

Try perusing here:
    http://k98.free.fr/

@youth: Nice! Thanks, that's awesome info!

@relicz: I looked all over, but for the life of me I can't find a year marking... just the 544 and the WKC. And that site is the one I meant

?

Nothing on the spine or on the reverse side of the scabbard?

If not it coulld very well be a commercial version.

Not on the spine, but I can't figure out how to get the scabbard out of the frog without using excessive force, so I can't look behind it... :P

The bayonet is something of a puzzle seeming to incorporate both some early and late features. Assuming first that there are no Waffenamts anywhere, the blade finish seems to be earlier, and it could be (for example) a 1937 vintage made bayonet with wood grips. And in the late 1930's there are "commercial" WKC's with serial numbers - but usually in a smaller font and close to the crossguard like military production. With military production WKC bayonets in 1938 going to black plastic which also applies to same period "commercial " bayonets. With WKC (maker code - "cvl") military production switching to wood grips from plastic in 1942 - but with unnumbered WKC "commercial" bayonets still using black plastic, and then red plastic grips circa 1943. With the one part that I've left out until now - being that circa 1939 the frog studs ceased having the horizontal lines cut into them (varies somewhat by maker as to the exact timing) whereas what we see here is a frog stud with a smooth surface. FP

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast