Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Unit Marked K98 Bayo info?

Article about: Hi all. Picked up a modest blade today to go with the others; frog is marked “Fluma I” and a maker/date stamp hardly legible; looks like “L.G 38 _____”. Blade is stamped 40 S/172. Does anyon

Default Unit Marked K98 Bayo info?

Hi all. Picked up a modest blade today to go with the others; frog is marked “Fluma I” and a maker/date stamp hardly legible; looks like “L.G 38 _____”.

Blade is stamped 40 S/172. Does anyone have any info on Fluma I? My searches have returned little. Fluma is abbrev. Flugmelde-Abteilung correct?

Although numbers are not matching, it’s the first time it’s in a collection as I got it family direct. From a Dutch family who emigrated after the war. It’s been with them ever since. Happy to have it even though it’s mismatch.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unit Marked K98 Bayo info?   Unit Marked K98 Bayo info?  

Unit Marked K98 Bayo info?   Unit Marked K98 Bayo info?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unit Marked K98 Bayo info?
    P
    Many

Fluma stands for Flugmeldabteilung I.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Fluma stands for Flugmeldabteilung I.
    Thanks for the confirmation BlackCat!

It’s my understanding that these units were observer/searchlight crews, but that’s all I’ve been able to find thus far. Would be nice to figure out more specifics as to where they were, and what they did. Coming from Friesland I imagine it may have had something to do with Atlantic Wall but that’s my imagination running wild.

Nice to see another 1940 S-code Eickhorn bayonet (K98 or S84/98 whatever you prefer), that's the second for this month. Frog is good as well with clear marks.
    We're a strange lot us collectors, we value higher a bayonet with matching numbers of bayonet and scabbard than ones that don't match, even though there may be clear provenance of war time use. Scabbards got damaged during active service and routinely a replacement would be found by a company armourer. Many of these bayonets are found with Allied veteran families and untouched since war end. But the mint matching example that may have been in a warehouse for the entire war, we value higher.

While I generally put condition near the top of the list of what I look for - there have been a number of instances where it becomes much less important for one reason or another. Possibly a partial L.L.G. - (Landeslieferungenossenschaft der Sattler) marking Luftwaffe frogs after a certain date were no longer used, my question being what are the scabbard markings? Best Regards, Fred

?

Nice LW frog mostly prewar production, nice unit stamped, probably correctly deciphered.b.r.Andy

Quote by MilitariaMatt View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation BlackCat!

It’s my understanding that these units were observer/searchlight crews, but that’s all I’ve been able to find thus far. Would be nice to figure out more specifics as to where they were, and what they did. Coming from Friesland I imagine it may have had something to do with Atlantic Wall but that’s my imagination running wild.
    I think that Flugmeldabteilungen were more generally flight orientated but for sure they were a LW unit. The Atlantic Wall coastal batteries tended to be under the control of the Kriegsmarine. Others will chip in more info I'm sure.

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    While I generally put condition near the top of the list of what I look for - there have been a number of instances where it becomes much less important for one reason or another. Possibly a partial L.L.G. - (Landeslieferungenossenschaft der Sattler) marking Luftwaffe frogs after a certain date were no longer used, my question being what are the scabbard markings? Best Regards, Fred
    Hi frogprince! I forgot to include in my original post oops!

Scabbard is marked Coppel Gmbh 1939 and batch 9758a.

Blade batch is 2013i
    Last edited by MilitariaMatt; 02-06-2019 at 08:11 PM.

Maker is L.G. Pommern

Regards

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    Maker is L.G. Pommern

Regards
    Thanks sleepwalker!