Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Urgent help! etched pommel eick luft bayonet?

Article about: Hi, I am very tempted to buy this bayonet but is this etching correct for Eickhorn post 38 mm. Thanks, Andy.

Default Urgent help! etched pommel eick luft bayonet?

Hi, I am very tempted to buy this bayonet but is this etching correct for Eickhorn post 38 mm.
    Thanks, Andy.Urgent help! etched pommel eick luft bayonet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Urgent help! etched pommel eick luft bayonet?
    P
    Many

Oh well never mind it has sold already! but would still be interested to know if it's right or not?
    Regards, Andy.

Too difficult to say and may sharper eyes prevail who study Bayonet etchings.

This etching may be a one hit wonder and may very well be period..then again there is doubt also that bayos are bought inexpensively to apply etchings of all sorts.

Hard to say and would welcome any other thoughts or knowledge on the etching itself.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I think it's been engraved rather than etched. The Eickhorn catalogue did offer a number of pommel etchings to go with the KS98 dress bayonet. They include Wehrmacht and other variations including oak leaf decorative effects. But they were very seldom ordered and are very rare today. This is similar to the Eickhorn flak option but I don't think it's actually etched. Normally we would expect a bayonet with the pommel etching to also to have a blade etching and so needs to be evaluated along side the blade etching. But as these are super-rare extra caution is needed before opening the wallet.

?

I agree with Anderson, this one looks engraved and not etched.
    There are lots of KS98 dress bayonets with engraved pommels for sale now a days, most (all most all) of them are post war enhancements.

Regards
    Ger

Hi,
    Well it had sold very quickly after I posted this thread but it has been very interesting reading your replies I did check it against the Eickhorn design and this one was very slightly different in a few of the details and after a while I thought it was just a tiny bit crude just not quite the quality of Eickhorn. Also now you guys have mentioned it the design does look engraved not etched which is probably why it appears slightly rough. Had it not sold I would have waited for advise from you guys before committing to it and in this case I would have declined. Again I have learnt something from this excellent forum and now tread very carefully through the minefield of collecting edged weapons. Thank you so very much for sharing your knowledge and taking the time to respond to the post.
    Regards, Andy.

What Anderson and Ger said. Possibly not quite as popular as it once was, I suspect that the postwar engraved bayonets with both copies of period designs and some non-standard ones in circulation far, far, exceeds the number of originals that were actually made. Best Regards, Fred